[Ohio-talk] A Big Disappointment

Sheri salbers1 at cinci.rr.com
Sat Sep 1 16:05:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

I was hoping to be sharing with you my joys and woes of going back to school
at the ripe old age of 49 and more importantly, as a real blind person. I
have been struggling for years to figure out what to do with my life now
that my kids are growing up. Fear of my loss of vision and lack of life
skills has kept me from moving forward. Earlier this year, I made the
decision to apply to Sinclair Community College to get an Associates Degree
in Chemical Dependency Counceling. BSVI had committed to pay my tuition, get
me computer training, provide me with technology and even allowed me to take
Braille lessons. Life was Good. I was registered for classes and was to
begin on August 27th. I had gotten 3 of my textbooks from Bookshare and
marked them all up in my notetaker. I had my Victor Stream all charged up
and ready to record the lectures. I had Warren County Transit picking me up
for class. Five days before I was to start, I got a call from my counselor
and was told that RSC would not fund my tuition!

This is the  reason I was given: because of a new rule that was put into
place within the past year. If a client does not qualify for the PELL grant,
according to the FAFSA, then RSC will not fund tuition.

The fact that I have a finance degree and went to college previously was in
my file from day one. It was overlooked. Had I known my tuition was not
going to be funded, I would have more actively sought out other sources for
money. At this late date, all monies are given out for the year. I now need
to slam on the brakes and regroup. I cannot tell you the level of
disappointment I am experiencing right now. I am willing to accept whatever
part I have in this matter, but it doesn't make it any easier. I will not
give up. I will simply try again. Thank you for listening.+