[Ohio-talk] Corrected DAN MINUTES

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Sat Aug 10 13:35:35 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone,
I have inserted the Minutes in this email and am also attaching them for your conpenience.
I accidentally forgot to mention that Teresa Jones from Cleveland Chapter was on call.
Colleen Roth

The DAN Teleconference Meeting for July 29, 2013 was called to order by President Wanda Sloan at 8:35 pddmm.
Wanda Sloan, Colleen Roth, Karen Noles, Barbara Fohl and Paul Jordan were present at the start of the call. Teresa Jones from Cleveland Chapter joined us.
Sandra Kimball, a Certified Diabetic Educator from Miami Valley Hospital joined us for about twenty minutes. She gave us a brief overview of Diabetes including Type I and Type II. She discussed some of the advances in the Field of Diabetes Care including the various types of medication now available. Sandra answered some questions from participants including those having to do with getting blood on the strip and Side Effect which can indicate Diabetes. Sandra said she would get some sample meters which talk to see which one uses the least amount of blood. She did this quite awhile ago and said she would be willing to do it again. Wanda will work with her testing these Meters.
She said she is happy to answer questions and we can email them to Wanda.
Sandra talked about good eating habits and things to avoid. The question was raised about whDiet Pop. There was a concern about Diet Pop with relation to Kidney Function. Sandra said that Nephrologists want their patients to stay away from Cola and dark pops. They only want people to drink clear pops such as 7-up, Gingerale, and Sprite. The idea is that dark pops have Cafeine in them. Sandra stated that food labels have changed since 1994. She said we should try to eat natural foods and stay away from processed foods. She also said we should try to drink less pop and more water. She said that if a person has blood sugar reading over 300 and is urinating a lot and is always thirsty these are good indicators the person may have Diabetes.
We discussed some fund-raising ideas for the Division.
Wanda described a Keyring we could purchase for 38 cents and sell for three dollars. She said she could check into a few others from this warehouse. Some of us thought we should sell something related to the NFB or that was a little more useful such as something that said the time.
Some of us thought that even a Musical Keyring might be better than a Talking one. She had described a Mouse Keyring with many sayings and played it on the phone for us.
We left that discussion for the next Meeting.
Our previous Teleconference Call was in January. Wanda said she would like to make these quarterly.
Since our January teleconference two embers have passed away. They are:  Janette Wade and Shawn Dobson.
Report from the National Convention: Wanda stated there was no Guest Speaker at the DAN Meeting due to a last-minute cancellation.
The National Diabetic Action Network will be having a fundccraiser at next year's National Convention. A three-section plate will be available to help people judge the size of portions for protein, Carbs and vegetables. Your Secretary thinks that this is a good idea for all Diabetics, not just those who are blind. Your Secretary thinks these would be a good gift.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:19 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Colleen Roth,
Secretary;