[Ohio-talk] fyi

Payne, Richard L (GE Capital) richard.payne at ge.com
Tue Dec 17 16:03:39 UTC 2013

I will not get in too much detail here, but sometimes it must be noted that we   need a process which includes and welcomes the membership to be involved.  I am not the kind of writer that will try and use big words or swift lines to make my point here.  Yes, it was brought up about having the convention in another part of the state for a number of reasons.  We should not have a board that is not listening to the membership.

I know those of us who were on the conference call will stick to our votes and yes, the board did indeed vote.  I, the Vice President voted no for several reasons.

First, I think that the board must find a way to reach out to the membership in a way that we have not for a very long time.  I chose to accept the position of vice president because I believe in the NFB.  While this is true the only way to fill this position is to stay involved.  Also, the chance that we would have had the convention in Columbus may have been the decision that was made any way.  I requested information to help find other locations for the convention, due to the problems we had in November.  I am a team player and serve for all Federationists.

Secondly, I think that the call last week was in part designed to limit the input on some of the things we spoke about.  When the information was put out, it made it seem that only the board would need to be present and maybe this is why several members did not participate.    I think some members of our leadership make others feel left out and do not open   the doors until money or work is needed.  To be fair here, everyone cannot be a leader and all cannot lead.   I hope from this point we embrace others that certainly have the ability to lift this affiliate to another level.  I guess when I think of a movement I think about the boots on the ground paving the way for inclusion.  Yes, several members have paved the way and others will go down that road.  When I think back over the last year or so, it is that some who have had a strong hold on this affiliate won't allow for a change.  I will never stop working for the NFB!  But, it is getting much harder when so many people are being pushed aside. Richard