[Ohio-talk] Comparing Blindness to Severe Disabilities

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 05:52:34 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This is a very interesting discussion, and one I have debated myself for
several years.  I have memories of thinking my blindness is nothing in
comparison to what some people with disabilities face.  I still remember a
Special Olympics swim meet where my mom ran into the mother of one of her
high school boyfriends, and finding out that I had competed against her
other son in a race.  I was ten with a lack of eyesight being my only
disability, he was in his late twenties with severe Down Syndrome.  A
trainer had to walk along the side of the pool to remind him to keep going.
I didn't think it was fair to have the gold medal that I had received when I
was swimming against people like that, those without all their limbs, etc.

On the other hand, I know that people with these other disabilities think
that blindness is scary and far worse a thing to deal with than their
disability.  I have spent the past year learning bits and pieces of deaf
culture and basic sign language.  I know enough to hold conversations with a
deaf person because I performed in a sign singing choir at school, but I
always wondered what would happen if I randomly came into contact with a
deaf person.  How would I work around the communication barriers?  How could
I let them know I couldn't see what they were signing?  Would we have to
revert to the painstaking hand spelling stuff?  Then a few months ago a
member of music therapy club brought in her dad, who is deaf, to speak at a
club meeting on deaf culture.  He taught a lot of signs to the group that I
did not learn the year before, and he was moving so fast.  Everyone else was
picking it up so quickly, and although people around me positioned my hands
when they could I still missed a lot.  I decided that I needed to learn how
to work around the communication barrier, so afterwards I asked the guy how
it would be best for me to approach a situation like this.  He taught me how
to say, "Sorry, I can't see you," and then to say, "But I can sign a
little."  This is because even if the person had to hand spell into my palm
I can still use sign language to convey the message I wanted to get across
more quickly.  Then he saw my BrailleSense and asked a lot of questions
about it.  It was really interesting to have this conversation with someone
who seemed so opposite from myself.  As a blind person I would be terrified
of losing my hearing, but as a deaf person he relies on his vision so much
that I'm sure blindness is a scary concept to him.  I was very thankful that
he could speak well and read lips, but I wondered how reading lips was even
possible since that is a foreign concept to me too.

I think it is natural to assume that we are always better off than someone
else, and this is true for anyone with any disability.  I've been in
situations at music enrichment sites for school where people with various
disabilities have said all sorts of things about my blindness, ranging from
things like, "We feel sorry for you," to questions, and to "That Braille
thing you're using looks really cool."

I agree with Colleen on the notion that I don't think disabilities can
really be compared to each other.  Now that I've reflected on it for my
philosophy project, I think that each disability poses a unique set of
challenges, but none have to be totally terrible.  Deaf people find joy in
things they can see, while we find it in things we can hear and touch.
People who cannot walk adapt to getting around and getting things done just
as we do, but in different ways that are appropriate for their challenges.
Those with mental disabilities are sometimes the happiest people you will
ever meet.  But each of these group is effected by different things, so it
is not right to categorize them into something like the chain of being which
is basically a hierarchy and say, Deaf people don't have it as bad as blind
people, but blind people have it better than those who are in wheelchairs."
If we were to do that, we would have a lot of different chains, neither of
which is really ethical to have in the first place.

Sorry for the rant, but I find this discussion really interesting.  I hope
everyone had a merry Christmas.

  Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton---2016
Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet
Ohio Association of Blind Students, President
Advocates for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP), Vice President
NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair
Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma, Usher Coordinator