[Ohio-talk] Comparing Blindness to Severe Disabilities

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed Dec 25 23:07:26 UTC 2013

This is a very interesting discussion.  First, I have been blind since
birth so I really have nothing else to compare my life to.  I remember
my first job out of college.  I worked at an apartment complex for
people with physical disabilities.  Many of them could not feed
themselves, dress themselves or communicate easily.  I felt sorry for
them.  I learned later that they felt sorry for me.  It really opened
my eyes to a lot of things.  If anyone is going to be successful in
life you must handle what life gives you.  I have met people who had,
what looked like, an easy life and they were constantly complaining
and feeling sorry for themselves.  I have met people and wondered how
they went from day to day and they had a fantastic attitude.  I think
any time someone loses an ability they once had it is a challenging
situation so even though the loss may be different the challenge is
similar.  I don't understand this at all, but most people fear
blindness above anything else except cancer.  I don't get it but I
don't think we can ignore it either.

Okay, I am off my soap box.  It is a great topic for discussion and
thinking.  I would especially like to get responses from people who
lost their vision as adults.  I believe the NFB philosophy is great
for putting blindness in perspective.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053