[Ohio-talk] Mainstream

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Thu Nov 14 02:40:58 UTC 2013

Hello Also,
The reason I said TARPS had improved is that the previous person in charge of determining eligibility and handling complaints always found in favor of the driver no matter what.
She also felt that if you were blind you should have someone at your house looking out the window for you. I did tell her that if I had someone who could do that I would just have them take me to the appointment.
I realize that wouldn't always be possible but I was trying to make a point. I did tell her that most blind people probably wouldn't have someone there to look out the window.
She also felt that blind people shouldn't go to the Metroparks without someone with them.
Never mind that there is a program for people to do Trail Walks with a volunteer if they choose to do so. This was brought up because the driver let the person off at a horse stable with no one around because he didn't read the signage.
Fortunately someone happened to come along and walked the person back to the spot.
Municipalities are free to set up their own rules for pickup and returns. TARPS also calls a person's phone with a recorded message and sends a text saying your bus will be there soon.
This isn't always so great because sometimes you are already on the bus and sometimes it's in the beginning of your window and the bus doesn't get there until fifteen minutes after your schedulEd pickup which is at the end of your window.
TARPS drivers are usually very happy when people are ready early and willing to go early because they sometimes have 4 people scheduled at the exact same time in different parts of Toledo and the suburbs.
It's still better than it used to be though.
Colleen Roth