[Ohio-talk] Philosophy of disability

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Tue Nov 19 22:59:56 UTC 2013

Hello Kaiti,
What is a Capstone?
I did have some experiences with a Physician from another country who practiced medicine here.
She was a Pediatrician who felt that Handicapped Children should be Instintionalized and that a blind person would not know if her baby spit up or threw up.
I did let her know that my family doctor would be Monica's doctor. She was just the Pediatrician on staff. I certainly didn't want her as Monica's doctor.
She had told the nurses that Monica was not allowed to be in the room alone with me.
The nurses simply brought Monica and their paperwork into the room.
Actually I think I had Monica more than most of the mothers in that hospital at that time.
I didn't have any problems with the nurses.
The Pediatrician knew that Monica would have some Physical Problems and that she had Cataracts.
The nurses simpby did what they were told to do but got around a stupid rule.
This pediatrician couldn't understand how I would know if Monica spit up or threw up.
I just can't figure this out since there are so many nonvisual cues.
In this Pediatrician's country of origin blind people were cared for by their families and children with disabilities were considered a liability. They didn't have much value and were usually institutionalized at that time.
This occurred in 1981.
Colleen Roth