[Ohio-talk] Buckeye UpdateFrom Eric Duffy

Shelbi Hindel shelbiah1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 16:39:22 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, September 13, 2013

            September 21 is the date for the next meeting of the Board of
Directors in Columbus. We will meet at the North Community Lutheran Church,
114 Morse Rd., in Columbus. The meeting will begin promptly at 10:00 AM.
Please be early.

            As we have done many times before we will order lunch from
Wendy's. We have ordered Scrip cards to purchase lunch. Although it can be
done, it is a challenge to spend much less than $10 per person when eating
at Wendy's. We are asking everyone to pay for their own lunch that day, and
if your order happens to be less than $10 to round your payment up to $10 if
you can do so. Remember not to include drinks in your order. Please email
your orders to Shelbi by Wednesday September 18. Shelbiah1 at gmail.com If for
some reason you must call in your order, Shelbi can be reached at (614)
558-8059. We will have coffee and soft drinks available. As of this writing,
Shelbi has received one lunch order.

            I have been asked about travel expenses to the meeting. I will
reimburse board members only for reasonable cost associated with travel to
the meeting. The policy is that we ask those who can do so to absorb their
own expenses, then ask chapters to pay the cost, and finally the affiliate
picks up the cost for only members of the board if needed.

            The newsletter is available on NFB-newsline and

www.nfbohio.org It should be sent by Email later today.

            We will of course plan for the convention  during the board
meeting. The agenda is really coming along. Here is my reminder about door
prizes.  Prizes should have a value of at least $10.00. Please consider
purchasing gift cards from the NFB Scrip Ohio program. This is a good idea
for a number of reasons. They are easy for you to get to the convention.
They are easier for others to carry, and your purchase benefits the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio. Paul Dressell is once again in charge of
door prizes. Prizes may be sent to him or given to him at the convention.

            Paul is also in charge of gathering names for the memorial
service. Please make sure he knows who has passed away since our last
convention.  pmd at pobox.com

            Here are some things you should be aware of concerning the
convention . Please let Shelbi Hindel know who will represent your chapter
on the nominating committee as soon as possible. Her email address is:

Shelbiah1 at gmail.com

You may also reach her by phone at : (614) 558-8059. It will make it easier
for her if she has the names of those serving on the committee well in
advance of the Board Meeting at the Convention.

            Our block of rooms at the hotel will be released after October
11. Please make your room reservations by that date at the latest.

            Here is another reminder about the awards process for 2013. All
materials are due by September 21. Please read the memorandum from Paul
Dressell carefully and direct any questions to him. Even if your chapter or
division does not wish to compete for the Gavel Award, you must submit a
completed form in order for your members to be eligible to vote during the
convention. This is how we learn more about what your chapter or division is
doing.

            I have received some chapter and division corrected membership
list. Please continue working to get those to me.

            If you made a pledge to the affiliate that you have not yet
paid, please get your payment to Sherry as soon as possible. We encourage
everyone to pay all pledges be for the next convention. I will be contacting
those with outstanding pledges in the next few days with a reminder.

            We have created a dine to donate program with Bob Evan's
restaurant in the Graceland shopping center. This is very close to our
meeting location. If you will be in Columbus for dinner that evening, please
consider eating there.

            This will be our first in person board meeting this year. I look
forward to seeing many of you next weekend.