[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:01:51 UTC 2014

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
Friday, August 22, 2014
	I am glad to report that MaKenzie Love and Andrew Gillespie have been chosen to participate in our 2015 STEM program at COSI in Columbus. Natalie Shaheen and I met with hotel staff to do some planning for that program on Wednesday. This is going to be a fantastic program for kids, and I am glad that MaKenzie  and Andrew will be a part of it.
	I am still waiting for membership lists from some chapters and divisions. You know who you are. I will list the ones that are still outstanding next week. Please get them in, because I would rather report that they are all in next week.
	This is my final plea for you to get your newsletter articles and information to Barbara Pierce. This is our newsletter. I believe it is one of the best affiliate newsletters in the country, but it will only remain that way with your continued help. We count on you for material.
	Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that all members of the board will be at our September 20, meeting in Columbus. So if you are on the board, and unable to attend for some reason, please let me know as soon as possible. Please don't think that because a few months ago you said you might not be there or in fact that you would not be there, that you shouldn't tell me again. I do know, however, that Sheri Albers will not be there, because she is getting married. I wish her and Jessica all of the happiness in the world.
	If you are not on the board but plan to attend the meeting, I need to know that as well. I must give the hotel a lunch count by Wednesday, September 17. If you need a vegetarian meal I need to know that too. We will have an assortment of box lunches which will include choices of ham, turkey, or roast beef sandwiches. I will announce the cost of the lunch next week.
	Please start making your hotel reservations for the convention. Except for scholarship winners and anyone that I make special arrangements with, everyone must make his or her own reservation. Room Rates are $76 per night plus 17.5 percent tax. our block of rooms will be gone after October 4. If rooms are available after that, you can still get them at our convention rate, but you then run the risk that there will be no room at the Inn.

Please read the following announcement. If you want to order a shirt, I must Have your check by Wednesday, September 3. You must email me the size and color you want.  Please send your check  to P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio 43202. If I don't have your check, you will not have a shirt in this order.

	Available now in time for the Fall convention season and

75 days of Action!

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO WEAR?

You’ve heard all the adages before: “Dress for success!”; “Maximize your message!”; “Put your best foot forward!” They are more than just tired old clichés; they are time-proven facts. The appropriate attire can boost your confidence and show the world that you are part of an important team.

Imagine the impact your Chapter or Affiliate can make at educational events, public meetings, and fundraisers if all your members and supporters are dressed in new, sharp, high quality collared shirts!

We can help you obtain shirts that will assist you in making that very positive impression.

Each short-sleeved golf shirt is embroidered on the upper left chest with the brand new National Federation of the Blind logo in full color! These shirts can be customized to include the name of your chapter, division, and/or state affiliate at no extra charge! Select a color unique for your Chapter, division, or affiliate  and really stand out in the crowd at state and national conventions!

What an immediate and graphic reminder of the exciting opportunity we have to be proud members of the National Federation of the Blind, the largest and most dynamic consumer organization of the blind in the world!

Ordering is easy! Each Chapter submits a prepaid order for shirts for their membership. Shirts will be shipped to the ordering Chapter in about 3 weeks. Shirts are available in adult men’s and ladies’ styles sizes XS to XXXXL. We can process orders for 12 or more shirts, and your cost is an amazingly low $25 per shirt for sizes XS – XL; $26.50 for XXL; $29.50 for XXXL; and $31.50 for XXXXL. These prices include shipping and handling.  Available shirt colors are White, Black, leaf green, dark green, navy blue, royal blue, light pink, maroon, red, & soft orange.

Order right away to ensure you have the shirts before our   Fall 2014 convention season and the 75 Days of Action! Orders may be placed an paid for online by visiting

http://www.flairetc.com/collections/nagdu

We received the following announcement from OOD: Thank you for the terrific support you have provided to the Workforce Integration TaskForce thus far!

We still need more responses to our survey.  Any working-aged individuals with significant hearing or vision loss are encouraged to complete this survey.  Individuals DO NOT need to be involved with VR to log in; we want feedback from a variety of Ohioans with hearing loss and/or vision loss.  The average completion time is 10 minutes. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BlindandDeaftaskforce

We have added 3 focus groups on 8/29/14 in Cleveland to our list.  Please have all interested parties contact me directly: Katie.Scheetz at ood.ohio.gov

Date
Time
Event
Location
Address
City, Zip
8/27/2014
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Visually Impaired and Not Working Focus Group
United Disability Services
701 S Main St
Akron, OH 44311
8/27/2014
6:30pm - 8:30pm
Visually Impaired and Working Focus Group
United Disability Services
701 S Main St
Akron, OH 44311
8/28/2014
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Hearing Impaired and Not Working Focus Group
United Disability Services
701 S Main St (Training Room)
Akron, OH 44311
8/28/2014
6:30pm - 8:30pm
Hearing Impaired and Working Focus Group
United Disability Services
701 S Main St (Training Room)
Akron, OH 44311
8/29/2014
11:00am - 1:00pm
Hearing Impaired Working and Not Working Combined Focus Group
Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center
11635 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106
8/29/2014
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Visually Impaired and Not Working Focus Group
Cleveland Sight Center
1909 East 101st St
Cleveland, OH 44106-0188
8/29/2014
6:30pm - 8:30pm
Visually Impaired and Working Focus Group
Cleveland Sight Center
1909 East 101st St
Cleveland, OH 44106-0188

To remind you, here is some background…
As you may know, Director Miller and the Director of ODJFS (Cynthia Dungey) have been charged with implementing a task force to look the employment situation of Ohioans with vision OR hearing impairments.  Task force members are currently being appointed, and the group will most likely begin their work in September.  They must submit a report to the Governor with an explanation of the current state of blind and deaf Ohioans (as it relates to employment) and recommendations regarding how to more fully integrate blind and deaf Ohioans into the workforce.

Before the task force gets together, there is a lot of work to do.  There is very little data about employment for blind/visually impaired and deaf/hard of hearing folks, and there is even less data available regarding blind/visually impaired and deaf/hard of hearing Ohioans.  To that end, we are currently collecting data to give to task force members information about the employment situation for blind/visually impaired and deaf/hard of hearing people in Ohio.  We are collecting this in two ways:
1.       A survey
2.       Focus groups

Here’s where we need your help.

#1 – Please send this survey to people on your caseload and people you know in the community.  The survey is screen-reader-accessible and has American Sign Language translation available for every question.  There is a QR code for the survey (attached), if that is easier for some people.  This survey is for people with visual and/or hearing impairments only. Respondents DO NOT have to have an open VR case to participate.  Our goal is to have at least 500 respondents – please help!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BlindandDeafTaskForce

#2 – Please send me names of blind or deaf (any level of visual or hearing impairment) Ohioans who you would recommend to participate in a focus group. Since you know them, it is always helpful if you have an initial conversation with them.  If they are interested, please send me their name, contact info, and work status (working or job seeking).  I will take it from there. Unfortunately, we cannot offer compensation for time or travel.  Below are dates, times, and locations for the groups.  Please note – we are holding separate groups for those who are working (start time 6:30pm) vs. those who are not working (3:00pm).  The only exception is for the deaf group in Portsmouth.  Attendees DO NOT have to have an open VR case to participate.  Our goal is to have 10-15 people registered for each event – please help!

(A specific event for Deaf-Blind is also in the planning stages.  It will most likely occur in Columbus.  If you have recommendations for that group, please contact me.)

I sincerely appreciate your support.  This is a great opportunity for blind and deaf Ohioans to have a voice.  Please let them know how they may be heard!

Katie Scheetz, MRC, CRC
PCA and CCD Programs, Deaf Services
Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
895 Central Avenue, 7th Floor
Cincinnati OH 45202

513.314.7650
513.785.0775 VP
800.686.3323 Toll Free for Consumers
614.985.9581 Fax

Katie.Scheetz at ood.ohio.gov

Please start thinking about your September Scrip order. Orders will be released at 7:00 PM on September 3.
	Remember that  the National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.