[Ohio-talk] Dayton airport

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 13:00:43 UTC 2014

All,
I feel the need to reiterate that much of the treatment received at airports
is random, due more in part to the individual human you encounter than to an
overall staff deficiency.  Training for all people who deal with the public,
which includes us, is an ongoing need, but the annoyances we sometimes
encounter can occur anywhere.
I have flown in and out of Cincinnati airport probably six times in the last
few months.  Some of those times, the curbside check-in guys recognized me,
called for someone to escort me to the gate, and all went smoothly.   One of
those times, however, about three weeks ago, I went inside and the sky cap
called for someone on his radio.  He clearly said "escort" and "guide dog",
but here came a wheelchair.
It happens.
In Minnesota a few weeks ago, learning that I had to go from terminal B to
G, I asked if there was an electric cart available.  There was and I happily
climbed aboard, but had I not asked, I would have been offered no assistance
at all.
I've had my share of aggravated encounters with airport workers not
understanding my needs, but I think that for the most part, we need to just
keep smiling and educating, one person at a time.
The cane that is offered at security, by the way, is typically an orthopedic
cane, not a long white cane.  Again, random.  I typically let them have my
cane, if they insist, walk the three feet through the portal, and stand
still until it is handed back to me.  If using my dog, I have her sit, walk
through, and call her to me.
Again, dog treatment is random.
I used to fly out of Dayton so much that many employees recognized me.
Still, more than once, security workers had the notion that, even though my
dog came through without me and set off the alarm whereas I did not, I had
to be patted down because I touched her before we arrived.
Silly?  Yes.  But we are dealing with mere humans, often not highly educated
humans, who misinterpret some of the rules.
I'm not saying that education isn't needed.  It is always needed.  I am
saying that each of us can and should take a piece of the responsibility for
that education, one ill-informed person at a time.  I admit that the older I
get, the harder it is for me to keep smiling, but experience has taught me
that it is by far the most effective tool.

Deborah