[Ohio-talk] Online Customer Service Call Re: Ohio-talk Digest, Vol 82, Issue 23

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 19:47:53 UTC 2014

Hi Kelsey,
I sure feel for you, particularly your frustration. I have my own
frustrating story to share about the hiring of CSR’s at the Cleveland sight
center. But first, I wondered if you might live anywhere near Solon Oh.
Marriot International has a call center there and has five or six visually
impaired folks working there and one has been there for around ten years
now. My husband, who is also blind, worked there very successfully for over
two years until back problems forced him to give up his position. They do
have a work at home program but one must first work at the location in Solon
for a trial period. If that won’t work for you, there are other places and
you might wish to have BSVI get you into the CSC employment service program
to help you find other places that might hire you.
 However, my own sad
story in short is that I took the CSR training at CSC, took the employment
placement program from CSC, applied for a position as a CSR at CSC and two
other companies that said they hired disabled folks, where one could work at
home, but all to no avail. No work to be had. I was particularly shocked by
the fact that CSC did not hire me for their own call center. I had been the
top student in my class and the instructor had recommended me highly. I had
twenty years’ experience working in customer service as a vendor in a
variety of locations. So why didn’t they hire me after training me? Why
didn’t they hire me after I worked for their food service division for ten
of those twenty years and made them lots of money? Why didn’t they hire me
when I applied two different times when they had openings? I sure don’t know
but that is my story. I truly hope that your story will end more happily
than mine did. I decided to retire, but then again I am so close to
retirement age it was an option for me, while you you are just out of school
so certainly don’t want to retire yet. <Smile>

Just when the Caterpillar thought the World was over, he turned into a
Butterfly.
Cathy F