[Ohio-talk] FW: Dr. Smith's Cover Story

Emily Pennington emilypennington at fuse.net
Thu Jan 23 01:27:12 UTC 2014

JW and all,
I really enjoyed reading that story. Even with so many significant
technological advances, I'm still shocked when I hear the statistics about
how Braille is used less frequently by blind students. I definitely
appreciate the technology I have and utilize on a daily basis, but I, too,
can't imagine not having at least a Braille display to fully comprehend
everything in my textbooks. I recently met a fellow student -- an adult,
actually, who lost his sight in the military. At any rate, he still has some
usable vision, but it continues to deteriorate. He came to me because he is
also an Accounting major, but he's really struggling to keep up in that
particular type of class. He initially declined to learn Braille when he
lost his sight because his vision was still good, and he doesn't want to
take time off from school to learn it now. I've been urging him to learn it,
because that will make his life in Accounting -- and in general -- so much
easier. I even sent him some info on the Hadley School, since he could learn
through correspondence and not have to leave school. Sadly, he hasn't been
very responsive to my following up. I'll keep trying, though.
Anyway, I just felt the need to rant. That was a great article, and I hope
everyone has a great day.

Take care,
Emily