[Ohio-talk] FW: Dr. Smith's Cover Story

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 03:09:52 UTC 2014

I totally agree, it has always baffled me how children are not taught
braille more than anything else; adults do have some other issues, but when
a child is blind from birth there is no reason for them to be denied
braille.  Even more infuriating is when a child who has a prognosis of
vision decline or instability is not taught braille, in spite of the fact
that anyone in the teaching profession knows literacy skills are learned
easiest at a young age, and it is painstaking work to relearn them later on
when the material taught in class is harder and more fast paced.  There is
no excuse for illiteracy; no amount of technology can make up for the skills
of reading and writing.  It is perplexing how braille is not viewed as an
equal to print by some who teach it.

Some know my story with learning braille.  I was originally a print reader
because my parents, and the people who did my first vision assessment,
thought I had the sight to do it.  I spent 2 years trying to read books with
22 to 36 point font right against my face.  The lack of control I have over
my eye movements, combined with the very small visual field I have to work
with made this painstaking work, but the adults in my life including my
parents thought this was the best thing for me to do.  My first grade
teacher was the one who really noticed that this method was not worth the
struggle, and realized that braille would be the only thing that would allow
me to keep up in subsequent levels of school.  She had resistance from
blindness professionals and my parents who initially thought this woman was
overstepping her bounds, but now I am thankful that I had a teacher who was
perceptive and stubborn enough to fight for braille literacy and to think of
my academic progress and visual prognosis long-term.  The world definitely
needs more Mrs. Murphys, but it also needs more of those of us who are
braille literate and educated to let them know just how important braille
is.  Great article!

Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton---2016
Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet
Ohio Association of Blind Students, President
NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair
Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma