[Ohio-talk] diabetes independence

Barb Fohl barbfohl at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 04:11:51 UTC 2014

Yes, you're certainly right about the cold giving you a lot of time to work
on Dawn's situation.

I understood her to say in a special note to me that her plan not only fails
to cover the pen because she has such a high dose, but it doesn't cover the
vials.  She thinks she would need 5 vials (she didn't say how often) and
they only cover 3.  Maybe she was confusing vials with pens, but that
doesn't make sense either.  There are 5 pens in a box, and each pen would
hold 3 of her shots.

     I was lucky.  The Ashtabula Clinic has a diabetes educator who had not
worked with a totally blind person, either, but she was willing to try and
did a very good job.  She knew about the Lantus pens.  We went through the
process at least 3 times.  First she showed me how to use the pen.  Then we
went through it again so I could take notes in my Braille Lite.  Then we did
it a third time so I could see if my notes made sens.  She said that if I
had trouble I could call her any time and gave me her cell phone number.  I
commented that it wouldn't work for me to call her when I was using the pen
because I take my shot just before I go to bed, and that's usually at
midnight.  She said that didn't matter.  I had to make use of her offer at
lease once, maybe twice.

I didn't mention that we had two sessions in person with the pen.  The first
time, my insurance had just purchased 90 days worth of the vials.  The
educator knew they wouldn't purchase the pens until I finished the vials, so
I had to wait to order the pens until I was nearly done with the vials.  I
said I was afraid I'd forget how to use the pen in 3 months time without
being able to practice, so she set up another appointment nearer the time of
my pen use.  That's when we did everything in depth.

At that time, they only had the optaaclick pens, not the solo star, so
that's the one she helped me with.

Will Dawn be able to use either the count a dose or the other device for the
other two medications, Apedia (which I can't spell), and another medication
which Dawn couldn't spell and I can't remember!

I didn't forget about At Large but couldn't call in.  The Choral Society was
sponsoring a recital, so I went to that, then stayed for the reception,
followed by dinner out.  I hope I'll be able to make it next time.  The 4th
Sunday, right?

Wanda wanted me to tell you that she doesn't have computer access right now
because somebody vandalized hers.  She's going to order the pens.  I told
her I didn't think our members would buy them, but maybe our sighted friends
would.  She thinks we can sell them for $2 a piece.  Since I don't usually
buy pens, I don't know how much they cost.  I get them at meetings and
seminars where everybody gets a pen, and I save them so I'll have one for my
signatures.