[Ohio-talk] Disabilities and their portrayal

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Thu Jan 30 23:36:31 UTC 2014

Hi Kaiti,
Good for you. You were correct in your evaluation of this attitude.
Unfortunately there are many physicians and other medical personnel who think that someone with a disability should be killed.
Fortunately there are many good doctors who do not agree with this attitude.
We have a group of parents in Toledo who meet with doctors and medical students to talk about care of children with Chronic Conditions and the care we expect for our children.
When you have a disability and your child has a disability it really gets interesting.
CP is so variable and so many other things which can occur at the same time. It's hard for some people when they can't lump everyone together.
It is interesting when someone thinks that all people with Down Syndrome have very high intelligence or above average. Sometimes this isn't the case and some people like to make judgments about this.
The other issue is that some people with Down Syndrome like very normal but have significant problems while others are very obviously physically affected.
You can't like the physically characteristics and the Developmental level of someone with Down Syndrome. My daughter Karen was an exception. She had all of the visual characteristics and Profound Mental Retardation.
We need to celebrate the opportunity we have to be a part of someone's life no matter how little they can do for themselves.
We are given an opportunity to be a part of this person's life and what a blessing this  be.

i am glad I wasn't in your classroom.
I would have probably been asked to leave because I wouldn't have done very well keeping my cool.
Good for you, please continue to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves.
I for one feel very blessed to have had my girs with significant disabilities in my life. My husband and I chose to adopt two of them.
I wonder how this teacher would have liked if his parents could have had him eliminated for some reason.
Colleen Roth