[Ohio-talk] UPDATE from Nicole! Re: looking for advice

NMPBRAT at aol.com NMPBRAT at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 05:34:30 UTC 2014

Hi All,
So, I’ve been off the grid for a  little while now but I wanted to jump in
and give an update on my situation, for  those who are interested.
Just to refresh everyone’s memory, I  was the one who had posted looking
for advice regarding an employment  discrimination situation.  I’m the
special ed. teacher working in a public school system who had been denied
reasonable accommodations, even despite filing an internal complaint with the
district and coming to a written agreement.  To read my complete post, see below
this  message.
So, here’s the update!   The attorney I had been working  with again
contacted the district’s attorney and shared my concerns about the  last incident
in which they did not follow the agreement.  Needless to say, even their
attorney was  shocked and was going to speak to them about it.  I gave them to
the end of June to  respond but not to my surprise (I know how they act),
they didn’t.   So, on June 30th, I  filed a formal charge of discrimination
with EEOC.  It was not an easy decision…but I felt  like they left me no other
choice.   It was overwhelming and empowering all at the same time.   It is
my understanding through the  attorney I have been working with that they
were informed quickly about the  complaint and the finger pointing has begun…
but they have made no attempt yet at  resolving anything.   My  current task
is now securing legal representation.  Although I have been using the union’
s  attorney, she is unsure about taking the case moving forward because of
concerns  of a conflict of interest and also concerns that she may have
developed a bias  due to our close working relationship.  This is somewhat
disappointing but yet understandable.  However, it leaves me with the task of
finding an appropriate attorney moving forward….which I find to be somewhat
stressful, hoping that I am able to make the right choice.
I certainly appreciated everyone  sharing their thoughts, advice,
experiences, etc. the first time, so I will  throw this out to everyone again……I am
open to any and all suggestions,  thoughts, advice, etc. on any and all
parts of the EEOC process including  mediation as well as finding and securing
appropriate and successful legal  representation or any other legal resources
available in dealing with a  situation such as this.   I appreciate
everyone's thoughts and insights.
Thank  you all for your support!
Nicole  Poston

In a message dated 5/23/2014 11:09:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,