[Ohio-talk] Some Amazing Misinformation

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Sun Jul 20 21:53:33 UTC 2014

 Hello Everyone,
Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Yesterday I was talking to a newly blind person who asked to learn Braille even after she was discouraged from learning it.
The therapist-teacher (I'm not sure of her title) told this young woman that she only knows the basics. She said she took a refresher course and that this student should forget everything she learned. She said that you should never read with your fingertips, you should read on the side of your finger only.
Did I miss something? The student was also told that she would need to sign up for the Hadley Course after she learned the Alphabet. She also told the student that you read one way and you write backward.
I can see that maybe someone could feel on the side of your finger if you had serious calouses after taking your Blood Sugar readings over a period of time.
I told this student to read with her fingertips. She is not a Diabetic. I will be using Paratransit to go to her house to teach her braille and to work on Alternative Techniques for the kitchen.
Dawn Lanting was also here yesterday.
This Staff member should just stop teaching braille. Heaven help her students.
Anyway has anyone ever heard that people should not read with their fingertips.
I just want to make sure of this in case I have to state this fact to someone if they complain about my teaching this student and Dawn.
Colleen Roth