[Ohio-talk] Some Amazing Misinformation

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:52:28 UTC 2014

Hi, Colleen and all,

Like Cheryl, I could only possibly see what this woman was talking
about if she referred to the flat part of the finger as a side, but I
would personally still call it the fingertip since the pads of your
fingers are also considered tips rather than just the small portion
which rounds up to meet the fingernail.  I mean, you don't really do
anything with that small part, not even type.

I don't know much about diabetic callouses, although when I started
learning to play guitar one of my braille teachers was concerned about
my ability to read being hampered by the callouses created by the
strings.  These callouses cover most of the finger tip since I don't
precisely hit the string in the same part of my finger, and have to
stretch greater and lesser distances to hit certain chord positions.
If they are at all similar, braille reading is not entirely impossible
even with them.  Sometimes my hands will be extra sensitive after I've
been playing for a while, or if I don't play for a few days and then
it.  Like I said, I don't know how similar this is to diabetic
callouses, but if she has no reason to have callouses via diabetes,
guitar playing, or otherwise, she definitely shouldn't have a problem
reading braille the traditional way.

Hope this helps.

P.S, please let her know about the student division.  We are sorely
lacking in students from Ohio north of the general Cincinnati area,
and it seems like this student might benefit from membership.