[Ohio-talk] We need your help today and tomorrow

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Wed May 7 13:21:37 UTC 2014

As you may know, we are pushing this week to get members of Congress to sign
on to HR 831, the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act. Yesterday
was Twitter day, but I didn't think anyone in Ohio did Twitter, so I have
skipped Twitter handles in this post. We need the following people to be
called today and emailed tomorrow. Do not email today. Below is a list of
member names followed by the office phone number, the appropriate aide, and
that aide's email address. After that is a sample script that you can use on
the phone. If you get voicemail, do a modified version of this message. This
will be effective only if numbers of us do the calls and emails. None of
these people is on as a cosponsor of this bill. I have not bothered with
Boehner's office since he is a lost cause. He can hide behind being the
Speaker of the House and therefore sponsoring no bills.

I suggest that you call and ask for the aide whose name is on the list. If
he or she is not in, ask for the voicemail and leave a message.  All of
these people have been informed about this bill when we were in Washington
in January. They have a fact sheet on this bill from that meeting. If they
want more information and you think they have lost the fact sheet, they can
go to nfb.org and find the fact sheet and other information about this bill.
You can send them to Rose Sloan at headquarters, 410-659-9314, ext. 2441.
Here is the list:

Steven Chabot, 20225-2216, Adam Scheidler,
<mailto:adam.scheidler at mail.house.gov> adam.scheidler at mail.house.gov

Brad Wenstrup, 202-225-3164, Casey Fitzpatrick,
casey.fitzpatrick at mail.house.gov

Jim Jordan, 202-225-2676. Susan Manchester, susan.manchester at mail.house.gov

Robert Latta, 202-225-6405, Erin Partee, erin.partee at mail.house.gov

Bill Johnson, 202-225-5705. Patrick Orth. patrick.orth at mail.house.gov

Bob Gibbs, 202-225-6265, Joe Price, joe.price at mail.house.gov

Marcy Kaptur, (202) 225-4146, John Latini, john.latini at mail.house.gov

Michael Turner, 202-225-6465, Vince Erfe, vince.erfe at mail.house.gov

 Pat Tiberi, 202-225-5355, Michael McLean, michael.mclean at mail.house.gov

 Dave Joyce, 202-225-5731. Chris Cooper, chris.cooper at mail.house.gov

 Steve Stivers, 202-225-2015, Taryn Dorfman, taryn.dorfman at mail.house.gov

Jim Renacci, 202-225-3876, Lauren Sheehan, lauren.sheehan at mail.house.gov

Sample Call Script for Call Wednesday:

Good Morning. My name is ___________, and I support H.R. 831: the Fair Wages
for Workers with Disabilities Act. I urge Representative _________ please to
cosponsor this bill.

Currently people with disabilities are legally being paid less than the
minimum wage. Some are being paid as little as pennies per hour. This
practice is wrong.  H.R. 831 will responsibly phase out this antiquated,
discriminatory, and immoral practice over a three-year period.

Can I count on Representative __________ to support people with disabilities
by cosponsoring H.R. 831?

Barbara Pierce

President Emerita