[Ohio-talk] Next phase of Fair Wages week

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Thu May 8 01:14:03 UTC 2014

I have just finished writing emails to the names of the people that I sent
you earlier today. Thursday we are asked to contact each member.

So far I have had only one address bounce back, and I spelled Meredith
wrong. Spell it this way, and you should do fine. Here is the message that I
sent. Please note that in my last sentence I replaced "your boss" with the
name of the member of Congress. Feel free to adapt this message to your
style.

This is a follow-up to my call yesterday asking that your boss consider
cosponsoring HR 831, the Fair Wages for Disabled Workers Act. If passed,
this bill would gradually eliminate the Certificate of Exemption under the
Fair Labor Standards Act, which currently  allows payment of less than the
minimum wage to 400,000 disabled workers, sometimes only pennies an hour.
This injustice has continued since 1938. It is unfair and unjust, and it
must stop. Many sheltered employers already pay above the minimum wage. We
must eliminate the loophole  that enables some sheltered employers to
oppress the remaining disabled workers. Greg Harper of Mississippi
introduced the bill, and we need help in seeing that justice is done.

I look forward to learning that your boss has decided to cosponsor HR 831.

Cordially,

Barbara Pierce

 440-774-8077

Please copy Rose Sloan on your messages. Her address is rsloan at nfb.org.