[Ohio-talk] Serious Lack of Training

Colleen Roth via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Mon May 19 23:39:56 UTC 2014

Hallo Everyone,
There is something wrong with a professional who is supposed to serve blind people and train them in Activities of Daily Living suggests that they shake cans to tell what they are. Does Megan really think that this is a viable suggestion.
I am so glad to know that Braille is outmoded and a labeling device which has magnetic strips on cards which can be attached to cans is less desirable than shaking the can.
Of course blind people shouldn't be taught using the slate and stylus and there are other techniques which supplant Braille.
Of couse the Sight Center is a nonprofit and since totally blind people are a low incidence population they simly cannot be served because chosts too much money.
Besides that the person who is supposed to work with them knows a little braille. The first ten letters to be exact.
Obviously the Sight Center in Toledo needs to have a major retraining of staff to include working with the totally blind population. Correspondence courses in Braille from Hadley are fine but having personal instruction is also good.
What is wrong with a class er those who want to learn braille?
Maybe the Sight Center should change things a bit and work with the Totally blind population first. This group needs more from the staff and maybe that's why they are not being served adequately.
I was concerned that the blind would be treated as second-class consumers by the Sight Center when xs' name changed. Unfortunately I see that this is indeed the case.
megan pleas do not teach anyone braille. Your attitude and lack of knowledge of the subject does not bode well for anyone who attempts to learn from you.
I haven't formed any plan for making things happen so that the totally blind and all blind people get better service from the Sight Center.
Megan start shaking your cans of food and see if this method is truly the one you would want to use.
I do not care if a technique is old-fashioned or not in vogue, if it works, use it.
I for one do not plan on shaking my cans to see what they are.
What colossal stupidity!

Colleen Roth, President;
At Large Chapter;