[Ohio-talk] BSVI Counselors

via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 03:08:12 UTC 2014

Hello Readers,

I have perused the messages on this list, and I agree with many of the views presented.  For instance, BSVI counselors and other so-called "blind professionals," many who are not blind, have a poor understanding of the intelligence of a blind person.  Many counselors treat blind people as though they know nothing about life, independence or self-reliance.  They tend to lump us up into poorly trained and sheltered people, devoid of the ability to make our way in the world.
They think we need to be psychologized or that we are in need of medical help.  Many don't understand why we need such expensive equipment to be successful at our jobs.  Many don't understand that we can travel on our own, and that we don't need our job coach tagging along and driving us to our job interview.  Frankly, I never understood why it is standard policy for job coaches to drive an applicant to a job interview.  If the transportation is available and there is no other disability besides blindness, why can't that individual get there on his or her own?  I would think that a prospective candidate would like to show the employer that he  or she arrived at the interview site independently.

Counselors are poorly trained when it comes to dealing with the blind, but in Nebraska, all counselors who work for the Commission for the Blind are required to undergo a three-week training program at the training center, under sleepshades, just like all students do.  The students have a nine-month training program in mobility, Braille, independent living; including cooking, shopping and keeping their apartment clean.  Although the program for the counselors is greatly shortened, they get an idea of how it's like to function in society as a blind person.

I think this type of program should be implemented here; run by the blind themselves, just like the NFB  or NFB-style centers do.

Milena