[Ohio-talk] Shake your cans

Deborah Kendrick via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 23 02:36:41 UTC 2014

Milena,
Do you mean canes or cans?
Confused,
Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of via
Ohio-talk
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:31 PM
To: ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Ohio-talk] Shake your cans

Hi There,

Maybe we should write a song about shaking your cans.  I'm sure you're all
familiar with the disco song "Shake your booty?"  Well, the refrain could go
something like this:

Shake, shake, shake; shake, shake, shake, shake your cans; shake your cans."

By the way, I love my slate and stylus and Braille writer.  As I went to
school in Italy for two years, and the teachers emphasize learning the slate
and stylus--not just learning it but being fast with it.  As part of our
curriculum, we were drilled in dictation and speed, and we received Braille
grades on how many mistakes we would have on paper.  Students were
introduced to the Braille writer in 6th grade and then put with sighted kids
in an integrated setting.

Although we use computers and notetakers to accomplish our tasks today, let
us not forget our wonderful Braille system written  both with a slate and
stylus and with a Braille writer.  These are not instruments of the dinosaur
age but exquisite devices to be valued and trusted.  They have gotten me out
of many sticky situations in school and at work.  Anyone for a manual
typewriter?

Milena