[Ohio-talk] blindness and minor inconvenience

COLLEEN ROTH via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 17:48:53 UTC 2014

 Hi Marianne,
I know that some of us thought or just think that we have to be purrfect. The word perfect was deliberately spelled differently.
For many years I felt very inferior because I am probably the worst independent traveler you have ever met.
In 1993 I felt better about myself after hearing Dr. Jernigan's speech on the Nature of Independence.
(I think it was 1993 but it may have been 1992.
Anyway Dr. Jernigan stated that a person can be considered independent if he or she gets where they want to go without additional major expense or inconvenience to others.
For many years I have had significans aalance issues. Some people just thought I wasn't trying to ravel by myself not taking my balance and use of a support cane into consideration.
I do appreciate the fact that the NFB tries to encourage blind people to travel independently at Conventions.
However with my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and lack of balance this was beyond my ability.
We all have different skill sets. Sometimes we just make an error.
The only being who is perfect is God.
Marianne, you do not have to be purfect.
Colleen Roth