[Ohio-talk] Sight Center versus Blind in the name

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:39:13 UTC 2014

Hi, really your little mistake sparked a great conversation.  No harm done,
these things need to be said.
I lost my vision when I was 28 years old and was frightened. I was told
about the Sight Center while in the hospital and did not think about the
name, just wanted to put the pieces of my life back together. Some years ago
I had a guide dog, everyone in the neighborhood new my dogs name and ignored
me, go figure. I sometimes have to educate the public about what the cane
means. I don't think educating others ever ends and some may never get it.
When the Cleveland agency was first formed the name was, The Society for the
Blind. I don't know why this changed but, will investigate.
Have a Wonderful Wednesday! C