[Ohio-talk] Sight Center versus Blind in the name

Delcenia Brown delcenia at prodigy.net
Wed Nov 12 20:41:29 UTC 2014

Hello,
personally I can care less what name is in the title as long as the agency
can meet the need of the person. I consider myself as blind/deaf. This past
weekend I attended a event at another church, and we were sitting around the
table talking and having lunch. A lady that does not know me or anything
about me with the exception of noticing that I had a cane. As we are suppose
to face people when we are talking, which is what I did the lady said to my
husband "you can not tell she is blind, she is looking directly at me".
First, sometimes "the sighted" do not understand because of their conception
of a blind person and what we can do. Sometimes the "sighted" do not use
proper communication skills.  Also, people think if you are "hard of
hearing" you can not hear what they are saying. Although I use the term
blind/deaf. I am not totally blind or totally deaf

We have to keep pressing forward. We will always have to educate people. As
you know everyone is different as far as how they prefer to refer to
themselves. Sometimes we have to educate our peers as well.
Delcenia