[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:29:25 UTC 2014

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
November 16, 2014
	It is unusual for me to sit down and write an update on a Sunday evening, but there are exciting things happening in the National Federation of the Blind. On November second, we concluded a fantastic convention, and I want us to carry the excitement and momentum we built through the holidays and in to the next year. If we do that we will continue to build the Federation.
	On Tuesday evening I participated in a conference call with President Riccobono and presidents of the other six original affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind. The original seven affiliates are going to host the 2015 National Convention in Orlando Florida from July 5 through the 10th.  Ohio, of course, is one of the original 7. Who can name the other six?
Hosting a National Convention is not an easy task. Dividing the responsibilities among seven affiliates will make the job easier, but there is no question about it, we are in for a lot of work during the 2015 convention. I am counting on you for your help and support as we take on our share of the work load.
	We had a great day in Canton yesterday. We invited blind residents of Stark and Summit counties to come together for an informational meeting about blindness. Of course this included information about the National Federation of the Blind. More than sixty people came to the meeting. Shirley Beckner did a tremendous job of organizing the meeting. I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of our labor in the months to come as we work to revitalize the chapters in both counties.
	Our second annual Cyber Auction to benefit the National Federation of the Blind begins on Black Friday. Ohio has contributed two auction items. I urge you to buy auction items if you can, but even if you are unable to bid, log on to the auction site so you will know what it is all about. I will put the link on Ohio-Talk soon.
	Pleas do what you can to support our Malley's candy sale. The link is on our Web Site, so I am not going to include it here. Melina is doing a great job of reminding all of us about the need to sell, but we all have to do what we can to reach beyond our membership. If we are going to make a thousand dollars or more from this sale, we all have to work to make it happen. Reach out to your family, friends, neighbors, your schools, and your places of worship.
	I have gotten several responses to my request for information about which committees people want to serve on and or chair. Keep those Emails coming. I will begin to put together the committee assignment list on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and we will have a meeting of the Board of Directors in early December to discuss the committee appointments. I will announce the date and time of that meeting as soon as I know when a majority of the Board is available.
	I remind you that December 1 is the last day to let me know of your interest in attending the Washington Seminar. Before you tell me that you want to be a part of our 2015 Washington Seminar delegation, formulate a plan for how you will raising the money needed to go. It could be that you will pay your own way as Barbara Pierce has done for many years. It could be that you will get help from your chapter or division, or that you are working on other fund raising possibilities. In any case, I promise you that we will have a funding discussion in you tell me that you want to go to Washington.
	I am once again challenging chapters and divisions to find new people to participate in our Scrip Program. Any chapter or division that can get five new people to sign up for Scrip and make at least one order using Presto Pay between now and  the release of our October order will have state convention registration fees waived. I made this offer last year, and none of our chapters or division met the challenge. Tonight Richard Payne told me he knows his chapter can do more to support this program, and he's right. But that is true for all of us.

	If you have materials for our next newsletter, please get them to Barbara Pierce by Friday November 21. I need to get some things to her, and I am imposing that same deadline on myself.
Let’s go build the Federation. The Holiday season is a great time to let people know about our organization and to invite them to join our Federation family.

Eric Duffy, President National Federation of the Blind of Ohio