[Ohio-talk] proclamation that Dayton got today on TV

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 03:43:02 UTC 2014

PROCLAMATION

>From the Office of the Mayor The City of Dayton, Ohio

WHEREAS, the white cane, which all blind citizens of Montgomery County and
The Wright State University have the right to carry, demonstrates and
symbolizes their ability to achieve a full and independent life and their
capacity to work productively in competitive employment; and

WHEREAS, by allowing the white cane, and all blind people to move freely and
safely from place to place; makes it possible for them to participate fully
in and contribute to the enrichment of our campus community; and

WHEREAS, Ohio law calls upon employers, both public and private to be aware
and use the employment skills of blind citizens by recognizing their worth
as individuals and their productive capacities as employees; and WHEREAS,
motorist should be aware that the law requires that blind pedestrians using
a white cane or a guide dog shall have the right-of-way; and WHEREAS, this
body recognizes that it is respectable to be blind and that the blind are
equal in every way to their sighted peers, different only by the
characteristics of not having the physical ability to see; and

WHEREAS, through the efforts of Wright State University and with the
assistance of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, we can look
forward to a continued expansion of educational opportunities for and
greater acceptance of blind people in the competitive labor market; and

WHEREAS, the National Federation of the Blind has declared October as Meet
the Blind month and will take the opportunity each year to educate the
public about the abilities of blind citizen.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Nan Whaley, Mayor of the City of Dayton, do hereby
proclaim the month of October 2014 as Meet the Blind Month and White Cane
Safety Day on October 15, 2014 in Dayton.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the
City of Dayton to be affixed this 1st day of October, 2014. (11-#4,

Nan Whaley Mayor