[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update, Take II.

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 23:47:17 UTC 2014

You do not know that I cannot swim. lol

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Eric
Duffy via Ohio-talk
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 2:58 PM
To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
Subject: [Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update, Take II.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio buckeye Update October 3, 2014

	It's hard to believe that we're in the Month of October. The Reds
are home for the winter, which Means I lost a bet to Kevan Worley. There is
always next year. Next year on April 6, The Reds will be in First Place.
	October is Meet The Blind Month. Aleeha Dudley took that very
literally. Here is what she wrote yesterday morning:
Hey All,
    I just thought I would share my wonderful experience with you guys this
morning.
I was at Apple bees with my mother last night, celebrating my birthday.
She leaned over and told me that she thought she saw a blind teen walking
into the restaurant with his mother. I got really excited.
There aren´t a lot of blind people around here and I really wanted to
network with this guy. I asked mom where he was sitting, and she said that
he and his mother had sat down at the table across the aisle from us. As we
ate, I did some inadvertent eavesdropping and noticed that this teen was
indeed blind. I could hear VoiceOver speaking on his phone. I smiled and
stood. Walking over to the table, I said: Hey, I hear a talking iPhone. He
apologized, but I said that it was perfectly OK, that I was blind and wanted
to introduce myself to him. We shook hands, and his mother invited me to sit
down at the table, which I did. We talked for at least 45 minutes about
blindness, living with it, and how I am currently doing as a student at
Miami. His mother seemed amazed that there are blind people here in Butler
County, and I proceeded to tell her that there is a group of 5 of us here in
Oxford.
Of course, I told him about our student division and his mother seemed very
interested. We exchanged contact information and I hope that I will hear
from him. Just thought I would share this with you all. They do seem a bit
skeptical about the NFB, but I am going to work on that.
I left names out on purpose here.
Aleeha

	When Barbara Pierce was writing these updates, I got in the habit of
saving them, so that I could refer to them for information that I needed
down the road. some times I might need a phone number or a bill number.
Whatever the case was, I would have the Buckeye Update to refer back to.
Some times it might sit in my inbox for a few days or for a week, but I
could find what I needed. I continued that practice while JW was President.
	I do my best to include relevant phone numbers and Hyperlinks in the
Update. this is so you will have the information when you need it. More
often than not I copy information from the week before that includes a phone
number or a link. Please save these Updates and use them as  reference
tools. As we continue to build our Website, that will be a reference as
well.  But for now, use this Update to find the information you need.
	The Clock is ticking! Please make your room reservation for the
convention as soon as possible. Remember our block of rooms goes away after
October 4. Also remember that the Board Of Directors will meet on Thursday,
October 30 at 7:00 PM., and not on Friday morning as we announced in the
newsletter.
When making your hotel reservation please call (614) 436-0700.
	Please prerigister for the convention as soon as possible. You will
save money by doing so.

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?llr=6tpgtapab&oeidk
=a07e9rwrwvt3ae91ce2&oseq=
	Chapter and division presidents please begin to think about auction
items for our convention fund raiser. Shelbi Hindel is keeping a list of
items donated and their value. Please let her know what you have, its value,
and who the donor is. For example, I received a Malley's Chocolate gift
basket valued at $85 donated by the Malley's candy company located in
Cleveland.
Chapter presidents, you should also let Shelbi know who will be representing
your chapter on the nominating committee. This is the only committee not
appointed by the President. However, I will appoint the chair of the
committee, and the Chair will be selected from one of the chapter
representatives. Please contact Shelbi by Email to let her know who will be
representing your chapter as soon as possible. She must receive notice from
the chapter President or one acting in that capacity.
shelbiah1 at gmail.com
	It is also time to start mailing those dues checks to Sherry Ruth.
Dues for chapters and divisions are a flat tax of $10 plus a $1 per capita
tax. remember that all dues, reports, and membership list must be in by
October 24, in order to avoid a $25 fine. If these things are turned in on
time we won't have to worry about that.
	I know that we still need reports from At-Large, Cuyhoga, and
Parents. I want to thank everyone who took seriously the Gavel Award
competition. I think we had had record number of division reports this year,
and that's great. The Cleveland Chapter turned in a report early even though
it was not to be considered for an award. I appreciate that.
	We have decided not to spend money on after banquet entertainment
this year. We will have a room for games, and a room for singing Federation
songs and perhaps some other musical entertainment. Please plan to
participate in these activities.
	We need convention door prizes. Money is always good of course, but
so are gift cards purchased through our Scrip Program.

www.shopwithscrip.com
	The next Scrip order will be released on Sunday, October 5, at 7:00
PM. Richard Payne has once again missed the boat for this month. I guess I
should choose another form of conveyance for him to miss. Since he can't
swim, he will be happy to have missed the boat. We are approaching the
Holiday season, and Scrip is a great way to give gifts to family and friends
and give money to the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio at the same
time.
	Monday night we will have our next  call to discuss our progress
with our convention fund raiser which includes the auction. There are some
exciting updates concerning the fund raiser, so don't miss the call. We will
also discuss the progress of the parents division in the effort to find new
members and new leaders.
Everyone is welcome.
	Shortly before 7:30 call (605) 475-4875. Use access code 201909
followed by the pound sign. See you on the call.