[Ohio-talk] Convention Agenda anyone?

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 21:41:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have long had the agenda for the student seminar finalized, but I
would be open to discussing options for collaboration.  Doing so
during our seminar time might be difficult for a couple of reasons
though; the short notice would throw a monkey wrench into an already
packed program with introductions, board member elections, and our own
door prize giveaway.  I'm not sure how accommodating that would be to
individuals such as parents of blind children who have different
questions and concerns.  We're also hoping that Dr. Maurer will stop
by and talk with us for a few minutes as students, but perhaps if
we're all together and he is able to stop by he could tie the support
of family and parents into helping a student become a future NFB
member/leader.  Food would also be an issue.  The student division
provides pizza for its members, and this year we are using personal
funds rather than affiliate ones.  Emily Pennington has volunteered to
buy 2 or 3 pizzas for the group with her own money.  We were going to
buy our own so the affiliate wouldn't have to, but Emily, especially
because of her office I think, didn't want to dip into our small
treasury.  This is very generous, but I don't think it would be fair
to ask her to buy more if other people showed to our meeting.  Parents
and family members of blind children would certainly be welcome, but
if this is what ends up happening I think they should either bring
boxed lunches that they have individually purchased, or the parents
division could provide food for those people like the students do.

If this is what ends up happening, I know the student division board
members will do their best to help.  The latter part of the meeting,
whatever time is left after our business is taken care of, will be set
aside for networking and mingling.  That would be a great time not
only for students to get to know each other, but also for seasoned
members of the division to be available to parents who have questions
about technology, independent living skills, braille, etc.  All of us
love to talk and help where we can, so in that sense we would be able
to contribute something to the collaboration pretty well.  Carol, I
ask that if this is something you want us to do that you please let me
know by Monday, so we can try to figure something out in advance of
the convention.

If there are any other ideas for how we might collaborate over
convention weekend from anyone, I'd be happy to hear them.