[Ohio-talk] NFB and ACB

barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:38:51 UTC 2015

Dear Kaiti,

I am late to this discussion, but, as you might guess, I have firm opinions on the subject. It is a complicated matter. Eric, for example, is talking with the president of the ACB of Ohio about our effort to change the governance structure of OOD, and she has been very supportive. They are working together amicably and productively. So how do your issues differ from this example?

As you know, the ACB arose from the differences that opened up during our civil war. The ACB was composed of the folks who wanted state power and a relatively weak confederacy model at the national level. They were uncomfortable with conflict with the agencies that ruled our lives, and they passionately believed that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. This last may be true, but I have never been much interested in collecting flies.

In any case historically there have been significant differences between NFBs and ACB stands on lots of issues. For a long time you could pretty much look at the NFB position and guess the ACB position because it would be opposite to ours. I have not read the Braille Forum for years, so I don’t pretend to know their stance on the big issues of the day, but I think it is interesting that their positions are not generally known. This suggests to me that they are not doing a lot these days. Certainly in Ohio, when both organizations are present and asked for our positions, they mostly say, “Me too,” after we have articulated our position.

As for this business of belonging to both organizations, are you aware that we have a policy of no duel membership? We do not make much of it because we do not want to prevent people from deciding to join the NFB if they are members of the ACB, but the policy is in place, and we try to encourage chapters not to allow members of the ACB to hold leadership positions because of the real possibility of conflict of interest. We have not always succeeded in this effort, but we try. This is because ACB members in good standing should be opposed to many of our positions. For example, a couple of years ago the ACB refused to join us in support of the TIME act because they said that the issue of subminimum wages did not affect many of their members, so they saw no reason to take a stand on it. Surely you can see that an officer with that position would not be eager to take a stand against Goodwill.

I think you are right to have reservations about affiliation with the ACB. Your friend is a good colleague for you on campus issues, but, if she knows anything about her organization, she will have philosophical differences with you. Maybe she does not know enough about national politics to have differences with you. That may mean that you will bring her across to your way of thinking. Certainly if she does think like you about independence, she belongs with us. The ACB has a long history of not wanting to hurt people’s feelings by suggesting that they push themselves out of their comfort zones and try new things. You can see that this fits with be nice to the agencies and always look for the accommodations that will make things easiest for us, like marking the currency.

I have gone on long enough. I am sure that I have made some people angry with this position, but it is important that we be clear at the beginning of a new national administration that our policies have not changed even though our president has. We will work with the ACB when our interests coincide, but we will not join their organization. We are strongly opposed to NAC and opposed to agencies that accredit with NAC. These have been our policies for decades, and they continue to be our positions today and into the future.

Barbara
Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you zwant; blindness is not what holds you back.