[Ohio-talk] great article

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Dec 15 15:23:40 UTC 2015

Cheryl, people with sight believe that all of us who are blind want to
see again and can't imagine how we function without vision.  The
author was giving her perspective.  I do not think less of anyone who
wants to see.  If you had sight in the past I think the desire to see
may be stronger.  I also know some people who have never had vision
who want to be able to see.  I used to have that dream but I know it
would change my world in ways that I can't even imagine.  I know the
world as a blind person and if I could see there would be as much
adjustment training for me as there is for people who lose their
vision.  I think they would have to open an NFB like center for the
formerly blind.  Again, that would be different if you lost your
vision in your teens or adult life.  I think it is a great discussion.
I do believe science will continue to work on cures and treatments for
vision loss but right now we need literature that tells stories about
successful blind people.  I have read at least 2 books that did that
and I really enjoyed them.  The main character was a well adjusted
successful blind person and the blindness was part of the story but
not all of the story and the person was blind at the end of the story.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053