[Ohio-talk] question about paratransit

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 20:14:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm not in Cleveland, but I use para-transit.  Basically you have to
qualify for the service to begin with.  Once you're in some system, be
it RTA in Cleveland or another city's para-transit program, you can
request visitor status for other cities.  I don't believe they offer
them to people who have not met their qualifications though, only
those who are already certified as eligible and then wish to use
visitor status in other para-transit cities.

It's worth registering anyway; you only have to do it every couple of
years to keep your eligibility, and it should be free.  When I started
the process for Dayton I set everything up while I was still in a
different city at home.  I was able to do my application and the
initial phone interview without traveling, and the para-transit people
scheduled my in-person meeting for one of the first days I came back
into Dayton.  They should be able to schedule a bus to come get you
ang bring you back to your apartment after the interview, and you also
should have an answer that day (although you may have to wait for your
ID card to come in the mail before you can use the service).  It would
be best if you could move into the apartment a week or two ahead of
time so that your transportation is secure before you have to go
somewhere, though if you have an RTA standard route stop nearby you
could make due if you needed to.

I'd call to see if you need to gather specific paperwork for the
application.  Sometimes they'll ask for a letter or signature on a
form from an eye doctor, so that could be gathered in advance.