[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:14:39 UTC 2015

Buckeye Update

June 19, 2015

	It was with great sadness that we learned of the death of Barb Fohl on Monday, June 15.

Barb had serious health problems for some time, and she spent the last few months in the Cleveland Clinic or in a skilled nursing facility.

For me and many of us Barb was a true friend. We very often talked about a wide variety of issues. These could include very personal issues for either of us or the business of the Federation.

No matter what we discussed I counted on the fact that she would give me the best advice she could. I also counted on the fact that I could  trust her to keep those things in confidence that should remain confidential. She had the judgement to know when to do so even when I didn’t specifically indicate the need for our conversation to remain between the two of us.

She did what she could to support BELL and the National Federation of the Blind. She gave generously to the organization even when she was short of money herself. How do I know this? Because these are the kinds of conversations Barb and I could have. She was often quiet, but the old saying, still waters run deep applied to Barb.

	Here is the obituary I received:
Barbara Ellen Fohl, 64, of Ashtabula, departed this life on June 15, 2015. She had been ill for several months but had recently rallied and was in good spirits, so her sudden passing was unexpected.

Barb was born in Glens Fall, NY on March 23, 1951, the daughter of C. Gordon Fohl and Roberta Ebright Fohl. She graduated from Whetstone High School in Columbus, OH in 1970 and received a B.A. in Sociology and English from Mount Union College in 1974. She was employed for 30 years as a social worker for the Ashtabula County Department of Human Services.

For almost forty years a member of First Presbyterian Church of Ashtabula, Barb served multiple terms as a deacon, ruling elder and trustee, and also was a hospice volunteer. She was active in the Presbyterian Women’s Association and the Lydia Circle.

An accomplished soprano, Barb sang for over 35 years in every Ashtabula setting, from solos to duets, trios, quartets, and more. She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church Choir, Messiah Chorus, Sweet Adelines Chorus, Ashtabula County Choral Music Society Chorale, and Final Cut. A long time ACCMS board member and officer, Barb was recently inducted into the Ashtabula County Choral Music Society Hall of Fame. She was an active alumni member of Kappa Phi music sorority.

Barb served her community as a member of the Board of Trustees of Goodwill Industries of Ashtabula. She was an officer at both the state and county level of the National Federation of the Blind, most recently serving as Second Vice President of the Ohio chapter.

Barb was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by a sister, Virginia Rainey, of State College, Pennsylvania, niece Katharine Kolb of Huntersville, NC and cousins Rebecca Forstrom, Jane Csaszar, Beth Ramsay, Paul Ebright, Scott Ellar and Connie Fisher, and numerous friends.

A celebration of Barb’s life will take place at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24 at the
First Presbyterian Church, 4317 Park Avenue, Ashtabula, Ohio 44004. Calling hours begin at 2 p.m.

Memorial contributions may be made to the First Presbyterian Church of Ashtabula, or to the National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, Maryland 21230.
I will deeply miss Barb, and I know all of you will as well.

Please keep Barb and her family in your thoughts and prayers. We will pay tribute to Barb in the next issue of the Buckeye Bulletin, so I urge you to get anything  that you want us to consider including from you to Barbara Pierce as soon as you can.

	We are at the beginning of our BELL program for 2015. As you know the program will end just before many of us leave for the National Convention. We have agood group of volunteers again this year in spite of that. For the first time we will also have an Intern from the Ohio State University Orientation and Mobility Program working with us. We will use this opportunity as a building block for a closer working relationship with OSU.

	If you are attending the 2015 National Convention please pay careful attention to these  next items. Presidents, be sure your members attending the convention get this information.

	The OHIO CAUCUS will take place  on Tuesday,  July 7, , 7:45-8:45 AM , in SALON 15 in the Rosen Center. You will not want to miss this meeting. There will be important information you will need for the rest of the convention.

	Susan Day is collecting banquet tickets this year. If you want to sit at an Ohio table during the banquet, get your ticket to Susan by the end of the CAUCUS. Please be sure to make sure that your name is on the ticket in Braille or print. If you are unable to put your name on the ticket in either format, please get someone to help you get it done.

	We will once again be selling m&m's at this convention. We need to sell a lot of them. We need to make money. Aleeha Dudley and Richard Payne are in-charge of candy sales this year.  If you can do so please bring a check or cash to pay for the candy you plan to sell in advance. We will put fifty items in a bag. Given that number I know that Barbara Pierce will give Aleeha or Richard a check for $100. She might come back for more and give us another check. But she is paying for the candy in advance. If you cannot pay in advance, you must absolutely pay by the end of the convention. It does not help us when we get money in long after the sale is done. Yes, money always spends no matter when it comes in, but it makes it easier for us to keep accurate records when we receive the funds in a timely manner.
	We still need help with door prize money. If your chapter has not made a contribution to support the $200 in door prizes that the affiliate is  bringing to the National Convention, please do so as soon as possible. Make your check payable to the NFB of Ohio, put door prizes in the memo, and send it to Sherry Ruth.

	I am looking forward to the National Convention, and I hope you are as well. Even if you are not going to be in Orlando, you can listen to the convention by live stream. Please do so if you can. Let's go build the Federation.