[Ohio-talk] UEB--Not A Laughing Matter

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Mon May 11 00:44:44 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

I don't see the validity of this story.  The loss even of one contraction saddens me.  I see no reason why we needed to change our present system of Braille.  Many point out that our American Braille system does not compete with today's technology, but I believe that improvements in Duxbury or other translation programs would remedy such discrepancies.  Many say that the existing Braille code is too hard to learn and that they feel intimidated by all its varied contractions, but I believe that with time and patience, this difficulty can turn into triumph.  Is math easy?  Yes, for some, but we don't go around changing the system.  Is physics easy?  Yes, for some, yet we don't change the methodology which brought us to understand the mysteries of our universe.

In closing, might I say that the death of one contraction means the ruin of our beautiful Braille code?  Yes, I will.

Milena Zavoli