[Ohio-talk] UEB--Not A Laughing Matter

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Mon May 11 01:04:26 UTC 2015

It is not being changed because it is too difficult to learn the
contractions.  It is being changed because the introduction of
computers has created all kinds of issues for our current braille
code.  Technology can make it difficult to know if a dot 6 followed by
n represents a capital n or the ation sign.  We also use the italics
to represent all special print styles.  That is no longer true and
there is no way to represent that in our current braille code.  Debby
Baker and I have completed the UEB course through Hadley and, yes, it
is a major adjustment.  I believe it will be okay once the changes are
made.  It certainly is not the first change in the braille code since
its introduction to the U.S. in the early 20th century.  I may not be
thrilled with the changes but I must and will adjust.  I have a note
taker and have set it to UEB so I can make the adjustment and I don't
find it very difficult to read.  I will probably continue to use
American English Braille when brailling for personal use.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053