[Ohio-talk] NFB Centers

barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:56:54 UTC 2015

Kaiti, I think your analysis of the centers is simplistic. Each center works hard to provide training in the full range of travel environments. I am concerned with the talk that sounds as if the NFB centrally was strategizing about where to start centers. The three centers were established where they are because those affiliates were passionately committed to beginning a center. They raised the funds within their states to establish and run them. They still do. California tried to start a center, and it failed. Other states have talked about it, but nothing has come of it. Several have taken over a state program and run it according to federation philosophy. Nebraska, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Virginia come to mind. Ohio has never had a state-run center that we could take over. Bill Casto used to beg us to establish a center in Ohio that he could send people to. To get an Ohio center, we would have to raise millions of dollars every year. Since we can’t raise enough to keep the affiliate afloat, I think we would be better served trying to figure out how to get those willing to go to the existing centers and then coming back to demonstrate what effective training looks like in practice.

Barbara
Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com