[Ohio-talk] OOD and ACVREP certification

adcohen823 at roadrunner.com adcohen823 at roadrunner.com
Wed May 13 16:49:46 UTC 2015

I have thought at times how blind people within the state are the perfect resource to provide training in their own homes and communities.

A network of Federationists throughout the state who are willing to open up their homes/lives for X amount of time and who are capable of providing an exposure to blindness skills the likes of which one would be exposed to at a NFB training center is what I imagine.

A buddy program for adults.

I am biased.  I think that one weekend with an independently-living blind person or a family who knows the true benefit of blindness skills has something very beneficial to share even if the training (cane, Braille etc.) is minimal at first.

A network of inner-state Federationists from Ohio could be coordinated to host such a person wanting to learn the alternative techniques.  Social media can be used to keep everyone involved/informed.

Such a person hosting would be acting as home management, Braille, travel and technology teacher.  Maybe one only does travel.  Maybe one does Braille and home management and maybe someone else has the skill to teach another something else?  Make the training center environment within the homes of the membership.