[Ohio-talk] Counselor Blindness Skills Training

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Thu May 14 01:10:19 UTC 2015

Hello Discussion Participants,

I lived in Lincoln, Nebraska for one year, and unlike most other states, all counselors are required to undergo training in the skills of blindness.  That means, they participated in mobility, household skills and woodshop--all done under sleepshades.  Although they didn't complete the full nine-month program, the counselors had to train for at least one month.  That might not sound like much, but by the time they were through, the counselors had a clearer understanding of how blind people achieve independence.  They knew how it was to live in our shoes and because of that, the counselors could relate to us.

We should apply the same requirements for counselors in Ohio.  After all, if a counselor is going to serve the blind community, he or she should know how blind people live and function independently.  It would make that person a better counselor.

Thank you.

Milena Zavoli