[Ohio-talk] HOW DO WE GET IT DONE?

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Fri May 15 17:04:31 UTC 2015

The rehab money is a federal state match.  It used to be 75 dollars of
federal money for 25 dollars of state money but I don't know what the
match is today.  Then the state decides how to spend that money.  When
the state contracts for services from an agency or individual they pay
by the hour.  There are NFB centers around the country and others that
use the NFB model to provide the training.  Many other states have a
rehabilitation center where people from that state can go to learn
many skills.  Ohio only has live-in training at the Cleveland Sight
Center.  I have observed in my years of working for an agency for the
blind that they go for the dollars, which may not always meet the
needs of the people with visual impairments.  I have also observed
that they serve more people who are visually impaired than those who
are legally blind.  I know several of us in Cincinnati have talked
about the need for a different kind of delivery model than CABVI
offers but that is about as far as we have gone with it.  I would love
to hear from others about ideas.  I think an NFB center in Ohio would
be great.  How did the others get the funding?  Eric, I am afraid I
have more questions than answers but if we decide to work on this I
would be happy to help out.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053