[Ohio-talk] ios devices

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 1 17:34:48 UTC 2015

Hello Kelsey,
Both braille devices you own will pair very nicely with iDevices.
I'm pretty sure you have indicated on previous messages that you are totally
blind.
If I'm right about that, I strongly recommend the iPhone rather than iPad,
as the larger screen really only has value if you have some usable vision,
and the smaller screen makes learning the gestures a much easier task.

There are a number of excellent books available from National Braille Press
at very affordable prices.  Most can be purchased as either hardcopy braille
or in a variety of downloadable formats.
I would recommend Getting Started with the iPhone by Anna Dresner (whichever
edition is the most recent), and, if you are a person who benefits from
tactile graphics, the book of iPhone Screen Shots (again latest edition) by
Tom Dekker.

There are plenty others, as you'll see when you go to browse the catalog at:
www.nbp.org

Another great source of information is AccessWorld
www.afb.org/aw
where you will find reviews of all manner of things iOS, from the devices
themselves, to books, to various apps designed for iOS devices.

I am so pleased you are coming to the convention, and look forward to
meeting you!
The very best source of learning these or any other devices is, of course,
other blind people!

Be gentle with yourself when you do get your iPhone or other device.
Everyone has difficulty at first -- even those of us who seem  to be
experts!  I remember seriously wanting to throw the thing out the window for
the first month.  And now, I panic if I think I've left it behind!

Best,
Deborah