[Ohio-talk] BLIND photographer captures heartwarming images of his nonverbal autistic twin sons in order to truly 'connect' with the pair

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 15 17:03:00 UTC 2015

Greetings, all,

This is an amazing story that I know you will enjoy reading.

It also reminds me that you won't want to miss the presentation at
convention by our very own Christopher Sabine on a condidtion that combines
autism and visual impairment.

Chris has his own business, consulting with families who experience this
condition.  He also chairs Cincinnati's membership committee and, as of
yesterday, is our new secretary.

Read on and prepare to be amazed by one mor blind individual and his family.

Deborah

BLIND photographer captures heartwarming images of his nonverbal
autistic twin sons in order to truly 'connect' with the pair

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3317809/BLIND-photographer-capture
s-heartwarming-images-nonverbal-autistic-twin-sons-order-truly-connect-pair.
html

Bruce Hall, of Santa Ana, California, was declared legally blind
after he was born with an underdeveloped optic nerve
Over the past 14 years, he has taken 150,000 photos of his sons,
Jack and James, as a way to bond with them
The stunning shots are part of Bruce's book about autism, which he
co-wrote with his wife, Valerie

By Emily James For Dailymail.com

Published: 18:09 EST, 13 November 2015 | Updated: 18:30 EST, 13 November
2015

{Some texts are photo captions.}

A legally blind photographer has debuted a striking series of photos of
his twin sons, who both suffer from nonverbal autism, in an effort to
raise awareness about the boys' condition.

Bruce Hall, whose work has been featured in National Geographic and in
numerous museum exhibitions across the world, was born with an
underdeveloped optic nerve, which means he can only see objects when
they are a few inches from his face.

Although Bruce, of Santa Ana, California, specializes in underwater
photographer, his latest project focuses on his twin sons, Jack and
James, and their experience with autism over the past 14 years of their
lives.

Stunning: Bruce Hall, a legally blind photographer from California,
debuted a striking series of photos of his twin sons, James and Jack,
who both suffer from nonverbal autism. Above, Jack finds comfort in the
water

Laughter: Since Bruce can't communicate with his sons, who are now 14,
he took their photos as a way to bond with them. He is releasing the
pictures in a book to raise awareness about their condition

In their book, Immersed: Our Experience With Autism, Bruce and his wife
Valerie shares photos of the boys throughout their lives and detail
their sons' struggles with communication and social interaction.

Bruce, who holds a PhD in Educational Psychology from University of
California, Los Angeles, said he began taking photos of the kids when
they were toddlers in order to get closer to them, since they were
unable to speak.

'I do this to look at them... I followed them into their space, and
these chance encounters opened up an entirely new perspective on my
photography and this project,' he told The Mighty.

'So much of what's gone on over the last 14 years has been so chaotic,
so photography has been a way to look at them and gaze into their eyes,'
the photographer added.

Dad and the boys: Bruce says he has taken 150,000 photos of his sons,
Jack and James. The pictures are featured in Bruce and his wife
Valerie's book, Immersed: Our Experience With Autism

Playing around: Bruce, who was born with an underdeveloped optic nerve,
can only see objects close up. He uses his photography to see the boys
more clearly by zooming in on the pictures

Close-up: James uses his face and body to express himself since he
cannot communicate

Water lovers: Bruce says James, and especially Jack, find comfort and
peace when they are in the water

Many of the photos in the book are underwater shots of Jack, who finds
comfort and solace in the water.

'It seems like the water is the place where Jack seems the most calm and
content,' he said.
'In some of the those photos, that look on his face, you don't often see
that. It's a way for us to connect, and I want to share it with other
people.'

Bruce went on to share of the project: 'As a whole, the narrative
describes the journey our family took during the early years of the
boys' lives, from the time before the diagnosis to their tenth birthday.

'It honestly describes the struggles and sorrows, as well as the courage
and laughter, that accompanied those most difficult years.'

He said that life was very difficult for the family before the boys were
diagnosed with autism, and that she and his wife still constantly worry
about their futures.

Silly: Jack smiles and jumps around in his bathing suit in this sweet
picture

Striking: Bruce says the boys were not diagnosed with autism until age
10. Since then, things have gotten better for the family, but he and his
wife still worry about their futures constantly

Beautiful: Bruce shares of the photos, 'It's a way for us to connect,
and I want to share it with other people'

Amazing: The photographer, who has started a Kickstarter in order to
fund the publishing of his book, said he hopes his photos will inspire
people to be kinder and more accepting of one another

'It is estimated that 25 per cent of people with ASD, Autism Spectrum
Disorder, are non-speaking and cannot speak for themselves,' shared Bruce.

'People like our sons are often underrepresented in the media, and we
want to give them a voice in the discussion. I want the public to think
about how these people are taken care of, and that they deserve
everyone's consideration,' he said of his book.

Bruce, who has started a Kickstarter in order to fund the publishing of
his book, said he hopes his photos will inspire people to be kinder and
more accepting of one another.

'Societies will be judged on how they treat their most vulnerable
people,' he said, adding: 'It's in everyone's best interest to be good
to one another, because if something happens to you, you hope that
people will want to help you or that you will be treated humanely.'

Read more:
Blind Photographer Gives Intimate Look at Raising Twins With Autism |
The Mighty
Immersed: Our Experience With Autism by Bruce Hall and Valerie Hall -
Kickstarter
Bruce Hall: using photography to see.

C Associated Newspapers Ltd