[Ohio-talk] Fundraising Opportunity with the 5 K Charity race

Carol Akers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 22:08:39 UTC 2016

Some of you already  know, we are involved as a Charity Partner in an event scheduled for June 26, 2016 in Columbus. For everyone else, I would like to take this opportunity to share the information with you so that you too, may be an active participant of this fundraising effort. This is the first  ever Charity Day 5 K race being  put together in Columbus.  It is a wonderful way to get our name, purpose and information out to the public, let people know who we are, what we are, what we do and why we do it.  Without positive exposure, we will remain in the background, as just another seemingly small entity of which few people outside of our ranks are familiar with.
This event is a way to join with other charities/non-profit groups, and put on an expensive event without shouldering all the costs to produce it on our own.  To do this alone would entail numerous permits and applications, paid police staff, road closures, rental of numerous port a pots, stations for water, Emergency services, payment of the parking meters, insurance, timing of the race, prizes, t-shirts, PA systems,  planning and certifying the course, start and finish lines and so much more. All of these expenses and details will be handled for us and we will be sharing volunteers.   Our biggest job is to focus on  promoting the race/walk, get sponsors or people who want to donate to our cause and  some of us will also want to participate in the race!  What a great way to make our presence known to the community and among other non-profit organizations.  We never know who or where we will come in contact with a person that may need our influence, mentoring, or guidance.  Within the  other participating non-profit organizations or the people who support them, there may be connections to blind persons or children that have no idea we exist.
What can YOU do to make this fundraiser more successful? 1.  Go to the website, and or share the link with your friends, family, the gym, people who enjoy athletics, your kids friends, co workers, doctor offices, everyone you know and everyone they know.  It is a wonderful weekend event with food and fun at the end. 2. Sign up as an athlete, meaning a participant in the run/walk.  Get a group of family or friends to do it with you.3. Ask people to support you as a participant.  They can go to the website and register as a supporter or can read to the end of the page and send their money directly to our Treasurer, Sherry Ruth, at the address listed.4. If you sign up, you may use your receipt as proof to share with others when asking for their support and sponsorship.5. You can choose to support someone who is already signed up as a participant by sponsoring them either through the website or sending money to Sherry Ruth with the runners name and the words Marching for Independence in the memo line.6. All participants receive a shirt and we will be represented on the shirt, a finishing medal,  and entrance to all post race activities. The more people we have sign up to participate, the more money we make.  We will make $15 for each person who registers for the race.  If we have 125 people who register, we will be given a 10 by10 space with table and chairs to represent our organization and thus give us an opportunity to increase our audience, promote our message and  get more people involved in our organization.
I have personally participated in other 5 K run/walks and am signed up for several in 2016.  Why?  It is fun, rewarding to support or promote a cause that you believe in or want to help, it is good exercise, a good way to meet new people, do something with friends, see what other organizations do and network with them and I love to get the T-shirts and the finishing medals! I don't care what my time is or how fast I complete the race, it is just a great thing to do.  Sightless Children's Club, Race for a cure for Kidney Cancer, Shawshank Hustle for preservation of the prison where the movie was filmed, are just a few of what I have supported through a 5 K.  Many people just watch the websites for the next race to participate in and not just locally or in Ohio, but from other states.Let us all work together to support this race and bring funds in to assist people in attending National and State conventions, an educational conference/event which provides us with additional resources and networking, opportunities for training and discovering the latest technology, items to improve independence in the home, access to support divisions, new friends and connections, and so much more.  Anyone who has not yet had this experience, should make every effort to plan to attend, book that room and then work with us to make the trip possible by helping with fundraising events.I will keep the list updated as things progress.Carol