[Ohio-talk] fyi

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 02:03:34 UTC 2016

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Thank you to all of the leaders of the Federation after an outstanding 2016
NFB Convention. It seems like the leaders of the Federation find a way every
year to make the convention smoother, to find new ways to build, and to make
the convention a welcoming place. Our host committee-led by our presidents
from Louisiana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Utah-did a great job of taking
care of the family business and making the convention warm and fun. Dozens
of new activities added new elements to the convention. Many thoughtful
conversations helped to shape our direction and apply our philosophy in new
ways. Thank you for doing what you do and for being open to your own
personal growth within our movement.

Finally, I thank you for the confidence and trust you have placed in me. The
opportunity to serve this movement is an honor and a challenge that
continues to enrich my life. I appreciate that we have a dynamic and
committed team and I look forward to our work together in the coming years.

Critical Actions This Week:

Only a Few Days Left - Comments Needed on Web Access:
As you know, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has issued a Supplemental
Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SANPRM) on the question of whether
technical standards for web accessibility under Title II of the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA) are needed to enable people with disabilities to
access the services, programs, and activities offered on state and local
government websites. The answer, of course, is yes; we need technical
standards, and we need your help to make it happen. Please use the webform,
https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm/comments, to submit your comments to DOJ. For
technical assistance, please contact Kyle Walls at kwalls at nfb.org.

News:

Links to convention material are available:

Presidential Report
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.ht
mlhttps:/nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.ht
mlhttps:/nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.ht
ml>

Resolutions <https://nfb.org/2016-resolutions>

Banquet Speech
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banquet-speech-2016.html>

Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards Presented:

On Tuesday, July 5, the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award was presented to those
listed below for their outstanding contributions toward achieving the full
integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality. More
information about the award winners and their contributions can be found in
the press release.

Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement, Inc. - $5,000 award

Oskar & Klaus Publishing - $10,000 award

Winston Chen - $15,000 award

Semitic Scholars - $20,000 award

Videos:
To celebrate Jerry & Merilyn Whittle's Jacobus tenBroek Award, Jerry's video
has been re-released this week. It can be found at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMY5VPIsBpg.

Last week's video is available at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzw_wEBFYdU. Dana Ard shares the story of
her first teacher and role model, a Federation leader.

Reminders:

Braille Monitor:
The Braille Monitor is available in Braille, print, and narrated audio on a
flash drive readable with an NLS player. To subscribe, send an email to
slittle at nfb.org. Please include your address, telephone number, email
address, and the form in which you would like our publication.

Division Boards:
Changes to each division's board should be communicated to Beth Braun in my
office by email at bbraun at nfb.org or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension
2369. Please pass this information along to the leadership of divisions in
which you are a member.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

.         May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy held at forty-six sites
throughout the nation. More information at https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

.         July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

.         August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

.         August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre,
Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org

blindness is not what holds you back.

Keep building,

Mark A. Riccobono, President