[Ohio-talk] IRS Scam Calls Alert

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 3 19:01:39 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone,

This probably doesn't belong on this listserv, but this is an item of concern.

I'm sure you're aware of call agents impersonating IRS officers, telling you to pay them an owed tax amount in cash or face arrest.  I've received several calls of this type, and they all have the same automated voice message that goes something like this:

Hello, this is the IRS.  We have been trying to reach you. Our records show that you owe back taxes to the IRS.  Unless you pay the reflected amount, you will be arrested and face charges of tax evasion.  This is your final notice...

Don't be Fooled.  These people are scammers, usually from India, Jamaica, or other countries.  They tell you that you can resolve your case if you pay them the amount you are presumed to owe.  They don't accept credit cards, just cash.  They will tell you to go to your bank, withdraw your money and if the bank asks you the reason for such a large withdrawal, you are to say that it's for your own personal use.  Then they tell you to go to a nationwide store such as Albertson's, Safeway, etc. and get a voucher, which they will collect in a number of ways.

I'm sure you all know about these alerts, especially since they're reported on many occasions on the evening news.  I usually don't answer the phone, and that's how I avoid them.  However, I hgot tired of receiving these annoying solicitations, and I reported the recurring incident to the Treasury Inspector General Tax Administration (TIGTA).

https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam_ok.shtml

Additionally, I called the Attorney-General's office and filed a report with them.
1-(800) 282-0515.

The number that showed up on my Caller ID is a Washington State number: (206) 823-3819, and there are other numbers with the same area code and 823 exchange from where these calls have originated. We all know that these scammers are not from Washington State or from the United States, for that matter.  They're using a U.S. number as what's called "ID masking" to call from abroad.

I don't think anything will happen from these reports, but at least, I'll be just that one more person who took the time to inform the authorities.

Milena Zavoli