[Ohio-talk] Two more issues in the Senate

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Thu Mar 10 13:05:20 UTC 2016

I am going through my email right now. Just after I sent the response to Sheri, I read a message from Parnell Diggs. Our national staff is asking us to call our Senators to ask for two more things. One I sort of touched on in my message. They want Senators to absorb the language of S. 2596 into the National Defense Appropriations Act (NDAA). They have to be in favor of 2596, however, before they can urge this move. Please talk to the veterans affairs aide about both these steps.

Then they want us to start leaning on individual Senators to ratify the Merrakesh Treaty. The State Department has sent the ratification packet to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee because they have to approve all treaties. the Marrakesh Treaty is the one that addresses the worldwide book famine. It would allow signatory nations to export and import accessible books, which they cannot now do because of copyright laws. We have access to 5 percent of the printed material that sighted people do. This would aid in our further access. The Senators have a fact sheet on the issue, but I will send it again. Please tell the foreign relations aide that we need their bosses’ support. You can call 202-224-3121 and be connected to your Senator’s office. Please help.

Thanks for all you do,
Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com