[Ohio-talk] {Disarmed} FW: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Equality, Opportunity, and Security During Election Season and Beyond

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:42:10 UTC 2016

From: Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind [mailto:IOF at nfb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 10:34 AM
To: richard payne
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Equality, Opportunity, and Security During Election Season and Beyond

 National Federation of the Blind logo with tagline: Live the life you want. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/nfb_logo_2.jpg>

Imagineering Our Future

  Issue 91

November 2016

In this issue:

*	Message from the President <>
*	What's News at the NFB <>
*	Braille Certification Training Program <>
*	Education <>
*	Access Technology <>
*	Advocacy <>
*	From the tenBroek Library <>
*	Independence Market <>
*	NFB Calendar <>
*	Citation <>

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Message from the President

Dear Friend,

After many months of listening to political pundits spin perspectives on what American’s will do at the polls, November 2016 has finally arrived. While many are tired of the talk and may be apathetic about their vote, I am always aware that there are many places where blind people still encounter barriers to voting privately and independently, and therefore I value the opportunity to vote.

The National Federation of the Blind was central to getting equal access to voting to be an important part of the Help America Vote Act in the early part of this century. Since that time we have provided leadership to manufacturers of voting systems, election officials, and blind voters. More blind people have equal access to voting than ever before. Yet there is still more work to be done.

I want to thank each and every one of our supporters who have helped us achieve equality in voting for the blind of our nation. I also urge you to recognize that preserving and protecting that equality, and making sure it is not denied to any blind person, means there is still more work to be done by our organization. When I cast my vote, I will be doing so with the knowledge that the National Federation of the Blind is here to protect my right to full participation in our society. When you cast yours—and I do urge you to get out and vote—I invite you to share with others the important work we have done to include more blind people in the voting process.

Regardless of the outcomes of elections across this great nation, blind people will continue to have the security of knowing that the National Federation of the Blind is alive and well. Since our organization seeks to work with all public officials, regardless of their affiliation, we know that we will continue to educate our elected leaders about the truth about blindness. The greater participation of blind people in voting and as poll workers also contributes to our work to create the understanding that blindness is not the characteristic that defines us. Let us continue to work together with love, hope, and determination to transform all of our dreams into reality.

Sincerely,

 Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/MAR_signature.jpg>

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

What's News at the National Federation of the Blind

Voter Hotline Available

We will be hosting an Election Day hotline for blind and visually impaired voters, poll workers, and voting rights advocates to call when problems with accessible voting technology or other barriers are preventing a blind voter from casting a private and independent ballot. The hotline will be available November 8, 2016, from 7:00 a.m. Eastern to 10:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Pacific). The number is (877) 632-1940.

Google Supports KNFB Reader

We are pleased to announce that Google continues its support of the development and distribution of KNFB Reader. For a limited time, KNFB Reader will be offered for the reduced price of $19.99 for the Android app. Find more information in the related press release <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6032&qid=1445105> .

Resolution in Miami University of Ohio discrimination case

Blind student Aleeha Dudley and the US Department of Justice have resolved the Miami University of Ohio discrimination case. Read the full press release at https://nfb.org/blind-student-aleeha-dudley-and-us-department-justice-resolve-miami-university-ohio-discrimination <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6033&qid=1445105> .

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Braille Certification Training Program

Under a contract with the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress (NLS), the National Federation of the Blind administers the courses leading to NLS certification of Braille transcribers and proofreaders.

Successful completion of these rigorous courses requires a great deal of time and effort on the part of the students. We congratulate the following individuals who earned certification in literary transcribing during the month of August 2016, achieving certificates under the rules of Unified English Braille:

Literary Braille Transcribing

Alabama

Judith Rae Barber, Oxford
Troy Ann Challender, Talladega

Arkansas

Anthony Glenn Greening, Little Rock

California

Catherine Alice Cobb, Burbank
Lisa Marie O'Connell, Norco

Georgia

James Patrick Cozine, Alamo
William Jeffrey Kollie, Macon

Iowa

Andrew Xavier Ramirez, Anamosa

Nevada

LaVor Clayton Sparks, Las Vegas

New Jersey

Marianne M. DeMarco, Bloomfield
Judith Ann Feltman, Clifton

North Carolina

Johnanthony A. Trinko, Laurinburg

Ohio

Matthew Laurence Richey, Grafton
Charles E. White, Grafton

The updating of the Nemeth and music courses to align with UEB is ongoing. Congratulations to the following students who achieved certification in the current version of the Nemeth and music transcribing courses during the month of August:

Mathematics (Nemeth) Braille Transcribing

Georgia

Meredith E. Cloud, Sandy Springs

Texas

Yulianna Espinoza Duran, Gatesville

Music Braille Transcribing

Washington

Shonda Foster, Vancouver

For transcribers and proofreaders who were certified prior to the adoption of UEB and need to update their credentials, a test was developed to allow them to earn a letter of proficiency in UEB, which is an add-on credential to an existing certificate. As of this writing, 195 individuals have earned this letter of proficiency in Unified English Braille from the Library of Congress.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Education

What Is That Sound?

Do you hear it? That small, but persistent ringing sound continues. It’s too soon for Christmas carols, so what is that ringing we hear?

It’s BELLs from the National Federation of the Blind’s Braille Enrichment for Learning and Literacy (NFB BELL) Academy. In October, dozens of BELL coordinators from across the nation came to Baltimore to learn, share, and plan for their 2017 NFB BELL Academy sites.

During these summer programs, NFB members serve as blind role models for the students and provide Braille and nonvisual skill instruction through fun, hands-on learning in a day program or residential setting. The program prepares blind and low-vision children, ages four through twelve, to grow into confident and independent blind people who will live the lives they want.

To learn about the NFB BELL Academy, visit our website at https://nfb.org/bell-academy <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6034&qid=1445105> .

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Access Technology

This October, the access technology team co-hosted a training with Google to work to improve the knowledge of Google’s accessibility among technology trainers. It was a pleasure working with this very engaged group of professionals, and as a direct consequence of the massive interest in the topic, the team has scheduled three accessibility boutiques on Google products in Baltimore. These boutiques, which are in person only, will cover Android and Chromebooks. More information is available at https://nfb.org/free-accessibility-training-boutiques <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6035&qid=1445105> .

This month, we will also be co-hosting the ICT Accessibility Testing Symposium, which will cover the specifics of testing for accessibility, as well as the tools, strategies, and success stories. More information is available at http://ictaccessibilitytesting.org/ <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6036&qid=1445105> .

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Advocacy

Ongoing Collaboration with Pearson: Removing Access Barriers in STEM Classrooms

The NFB and Pearson continue to work collaboratively towards removing access barriers in K-12 and higher education, particularly in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. Most recently, the NFB and Pearson designed a survey to gather information regarding STEM classroom training, support, and instructional materials. The results of this survey will be used to broaden access to STEM subjects for future blind students, ultimately helping to remove the obstacles between them and their educational dreams. The STEM survey is open through December 2, and we are seeking many middle school, high school <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6037&qid=1445105> , college, and adult participants <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6038&qid=1445105> . For more information, contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org or (410) 659-9314, extension 2440.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

From the tenBroek Library

The National Federation of the Blind has been turning dreams into reality by helping blind people live the lives they want since 1940. Every day the NFB’s national office works to raise society’s expectations of blind people, but the organized blind movement would not be what it is today without the dedicated work of Federationists at the state and local level. The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland (originally known as the Free State Federation of the Blind) is just one of the NFB’s fifty-two affiliates that are making a difference for blind people every day. In honor of their recent fiftieth anniversary, here is what the  <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6039&qid=1445105> Braille Monitor had to say about the founding of the Greater Baltimore Chapter of the Blind and the subsequent formation of the first state-wide organization of the blind in Maryland in 1966:

A NEW CHAPTER HAS BEEN FORMED
In August 1965 another group of blind people gathered together to form a new chapter of the blind. In October 1965 they organized under the leadership of their new President, Mr. Ned Graham, Jr. The other officers elected were, Vice President -- John McCraw; Recording Secretary -- Nancina Thompson; Corresponding Secretary -- Muriel Spriggs, and Treasurer -- Willie Thompson.

The Greater Baltimore Chapter, as the new chapter will be known, meets once a month, on the third Saturday of each month. Their first meetings were held at the "Anna Mae Hunter Home for the Blind" on Eutaw Street, but due to the increased membership, will start meeting on April 16, 1966, at the Douglas Memorial Church on Lafayette and Madison Streets. The membership at the present time of the Greater Baltimore Chapter reaches approximately 25 persons. With the forming of this new chapter, the blind in Maryland hope to promote more legislation and welfare for all the blind of the State. Radio and television appeals have been made to increase the membership of the new chapter. The one quality needed to be a member is that the person be interested in the welfare of the blind.

MARYLAND BLIND PASS NEW MILESTONE
Under the guidance of Mr. John Nagle, N. F. B. representative in Washington, the Blind in Maryland have come to the place where it was felt necessary to set up a state organization. At a dinner meeting at the Francis Scott Key Restaurant on March 5, 1966, representatives from the Maryland Council of the Blind, Inc. and representatives from the Greater Baltimore Chapter of the Blind, met with Mr. Nagle and formed a state organization. The following Officers were appointed at this meeting:

President Mr. Albert Balducci, President of the Md. Council Vice-President Mr. Ned Graham, Jr., President of the Greater Baltimore Chapter Secretary Mrs. Louise Snyder Treasurer Mrs. Marjorie Flack

Prior to this time the blind have only had one chapter, the Maryland Council of the Blind, Inc. so there was no need of a State Office. However, with the application to the Maryland Council for a Chapter Charter came the need for a State Office. The functions of the State will be to set up the Constitution to govern the two chapters and to issue charters to the two chapters now in operation, to work securing more chapters throughout the State as well as promote much needed legislation. The new charter to the State will be issued by the National Federation of the Blind at the N.F.B. Convention in Louisville, Kentucky to be held in July. The new State Office and Board will be known as "The Free State Federation of the Blind" and the Board will consist of two members from each chapter as officers with two more members from each chapter as board members. The Free State Federation will in turn issue the charters to each chapter.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Independence Market

The NFB Independence Market is one of the conduits through which we distribute our empowering message to our members and the general public via our literature. Our blindness products store <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6040&qid=1445105>  carries mostly low-tech items that enhance the everyday independence of blind individuals.

Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away and Christmas, Hanukkah, and other end-of-the-year holidays are just around the corner after that. Preparing and consuming delicious foods is part of all of these holiday traditions. Many blind cooks love making delectable meals as much as their sighted peers. You may enjoy reading about Barbara Pierce's experience preparing Thanksgiving dinner in the Kernel Book story entitled "The Wall-to-Wall Thanksgiving <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6041&qid=1445105> ." This month we feature some items from the Independence Market that will make the life of a blind cook a little easier.

For some recipes it is important to measure ingredients accurately. The Independence Market sells various helpful tools. We carry measuring cups  <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6042&qid=1445105> and spoons that are labeled in Braille and large print. We also have color-coded measuring spoons <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6043&qid=1445105>  and various adjustable measures <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6044&qid=1445105> . If you need to weigh your ingredients, you can choose between two talking kitchen scale models <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6045&qid=1445105> .

Timing the cooking or baking process and checking the temperature of foods are important techniques that contribute to the successful outcome of meal preparation. The Independence Market carries both talking and tactile timers <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6046&qid=1445105> . Our all-purpose cooking thermometer <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6047&qid=1445105>  can be used to check the temperature of meats and candy. And with the pot clip accessory <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6047&qid=1445105>  it is easier to monitor the temperature of soups and sauces simmering on the stove. The all-purpose infrared thermometer <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6048&qid=1445105>  is a useful tool for those using a flattop range.

We have other kitchen gadgets you may find useful. The knife with slicing guide <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6049&qid=1445105>  enables the user to slice many foods evenly. The guide is adjustable to vary the width of slices. The double-spatula/tongs <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6050&qid=1445105>  make it easy to turn over items when cooking. And the nylon spatula tongs protect your nonstick cookware. The liquid level indicator <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6051&qid=1445105>  in particular makes it easier to pour hot liquids into a cup or glass. And our egg separator  <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6052&qid=1445105> facilitates splitting the yolk from the egg white.

And if you would like to prepare southern fried cornbread, a favorite of our former President, Kenneth Jernigan, we have the cornbread kit <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6053&qid=1445105>  devised by him. The kit contains a cast iron muffin pan that makes twelve scalloped shape muffins and a cooking template to guide you in getting the batter into the hot muffin pan. Print and Braille copies of the cornbread recipe <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6054&qid=1445105>  are also included.

If you need to mark some appliances before you cook up a storm for the holidays, we have various stick-on bumps <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6055&qid=1445105>  and tactile marking paint <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6056&qid=1445105>  to help you to do so. Labeling foodstuffs makes it easier to stay organized in the kitchen. We carry adhesive labeling sheets <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6057&qid=1445105> , clear labeling tape <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6058&qid=1445105> , magnetic labeling tape <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6059&qid=1445105> , and Braillable food labels <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6060&qid=1445105> . If you would like to copy down a favorite family recipe, we carry Braille paper <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6061&qid=1445105>  and various slates  <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6062&qid=1445105> and styluses <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6063&qid=1445105> .

For more information about the above items or other products and literature available from the NFB Independence Market, please visit us online  <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6064&qid=1445105> or call our staff at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216. We will be glad to assist you.

 Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

NFB Calendar

Upcoming Events

November 8: Election Day; NFB voter hotline available at (877) 632-1940.

January 30, 2017: Great Gathering-In

January 30-February 2, 2017: Washington Seminar <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6065&qid=1445105>

March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

July 21-29, 2017: Youth Slam, Towson University

September 12-17, 2017: BLAST <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6066&qid=1445105> , Nashville, Tennessee

State Conventions

Connecticut <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6067&qid=1445105>  - November 4-6

Kansas <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6068&qid=1445105>  - November 4-6

Michigan <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6069&qid=1445105>  - November 4-6

Texas <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6070&qid=1445105>  - November 4-6

New Jersey <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6071&qid=1445105>  - November 10-13

Nevada <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6072&qid=1445105>  - November 11-13

Ohio <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6073&qid=1445105>  - November 11-13

Pennsylvania <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6074&qid=1445105>  - November 11-13

Virginia <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6075&qid=1445105>  - November 11-13

Puerto Rico <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6076&qid=1445105>  - November 19

   Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Citation

The blind have a right to live in the world. That right is as deep as human nature; as pervasive as the need for social existence; as ubiquitous as the human race; as invincible as the human spirit. As their souls are their own, so their destiny must be their own. Their salvation or failure lies within their own choice and responsibility. That choice cannot be precluded or prejudged; those lives cannot be predetermined or controlled.

– Professor Jacobus tenBroek, “Are We Equal to the Challenge? <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6077&qid=1445105> " 1967 NFB National Convention, Los Angeles, California, July 6, 1967.

   Graphic: section divider <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/Divider.gif>

Thank you for reading the NFB’s Imagineering Our Future.

Help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people across the country.

 Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/bbb.jpg>    Combined Federal Campaign Approved Charity Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cfc_logo.gif>       Charity Watch Top Rated Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/cw-top-rated.jpg>         GuideStar Exchange Gold Participant Logo <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/gximage2.png>

 Charity Star logo <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/images/charitystar.jpg>

 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4049&qid=692780> Make a Gift Today

Back to Top

 <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6078&qid=1445105> Image of a hand holding a cell phone with the KNFB Reader logo

 Two girls attending Youth Slam smile widely. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/youth-slam.jpg>

Make a <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4050&qid=692780>
Gift Today

To donate a vehicle to the NFB, call toll-free
(855) 659-9314
or visit our
vehicle donation <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4051&qid=692780>
page.

 To donate clothing or household items to the NFB,
visit
www.nfbpickup.org/ <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4052&qid=692780>
or call toll-free
(888) 610-4632
to schedule a pickup or to find drop locations.

 Photo: Father and Child <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/littlegirl-with-toy.jpg>

 Two people use their canes as they walk down the sidewalk. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/street_good_color.jpg>

Please check with your company to see if it offers a matching program that will match your gift.

 A man uses alternative technologies to read a restaurant menu. <http://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/image/jinewsletter/man-reading-menu.jpg>

Interesting links:

Archive of Straight Talk About Vision Loss videos <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4053&qid=692780>

National Center for Blind Youth in Science <http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4054&qid=692780>