[Ohio-talk] New places and hiring drivers

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Mon Oct 3 13:28:22 UTC 2016

Kaiti. I've also looked into similar transportation options for hiring
drivers and readers when I was doing my Practicum in Social Work at Wright
State. Unfortunately, I found that many of the larger retirement communities
I've dealt with won't post ads for drivers over concerns about liability
issues. There was one case in particular when I was just looking for a job
in social work after I got my Master's where I even offered to foot the bill
for added insurance, meet with the organization's legal department, etc. to
no avail. This latter situation involved a very large, fairly high profile
retirement community in Cincinnati with a public broadcast radio station
that could have feasibly aired an ad for a driver.

What I have found useful is research any agency that provides vocational
services to mental health consumers and contact them, asking them about
hiring one of their clients as a driver. This could be very beneficial for
you and the driver, and the job and social interaction could be very
therapeutic for the consumer. Since mental health consumers in vocational
programs generally receive case management and work with BVR, your employees
are pretty much pre-screened. The drivers could also receive job coaching
and other employment supports to assist with the job if need be. I believe
Chillicothe (Ross County) has a BVR office, but I'd start out by calling
COVA (I think that's the agency in Columbus that serves Ross County.) and
ask for the agency contact providing vocational services in Chillicothe.

I found my most reliable driver this way, and he is still a very good friend
of mine to this day.

Hope this helps.

Chris