[Ohio-talk] National Federation of the Blind Vehicle Donation Program

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 08:30:54 UTC 2016

National Federation of the Blind Vehicle Donation Program
The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) has partnered with Vehicles For
Charity to process donated vehicles. Just call toll-free 1-855-659-9314, and
a representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation or answer
any questions you have.
To donate a vehicle to the NFB, have your title number, VIN, and phone
number ready, then:
 <https://nfb.org/nfb-vehicle-donation-form>
We will arrange to have your vehicle picked up, and send you the receipt for
your tax deduction.

General Questions
What are the benefits of donating my car to the NFB?
The NFB benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing
programs and increase community awareness through local events.
You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are
itemized. Plus, you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No
need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk,
and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep
your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
What can I donate?
You can donate almost any vehicle, including cars, trucks, boats,
motorcycles and recreational vehicles. They do not have to be currently
running. Your vehicle donation will be sold at an auction or to salvage
depending on condition.
What do I need to donate my car?
The title to the car must be in your name. We will also need some
information about where the car is located and the condition of the car.
This will assist us in scheduling appropriate towing arrangements.
What paperwork do I need?
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you
when you call-in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the
title is in the name of the donor without a lien].
Will you pick up my car?
A towing company will call you to schedule the pick-up of your vehicle. You
will need to give the driver the keys to the vehicle, as well as your signed
title.
Does my car have to be running to donate it?
In some cases we can take your car whether it is running or not. However, it
must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a representative at our
toll-free number, 1-855-659-9314, to find out if your vehicle qualifies for
pick-up.
How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. A tow
company will contact you within two to four business days. Call our
representatives at our toll-free number, 1-855-659-9314, with any questions,
or to start the process.
Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?
No, special arrangements for pick-up can be made by calling our
representative.
Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?
No, you do not need a smog certificate. You may donate your vehicle without
these documents, even in states that require smog certificates or safety
inspections.

If you have more questions, just call toll-free 1-855-659-9314.

Tax Questions
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, the NFB is a non-profit organization and all donations qualify as a
charitable deduction on your federal income tax return.
How does the 2005 tax law effect my tax deduction?
Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of
their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of
Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes, if the proceeds from the sale exceed
$500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated
vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor
Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes, will be the gross proceeds of the deductible
donation.
How is the value of my car determined?
The IRS allows you to take a charitable tax deduction on your federal income
tax form equal to the amount the vehicle sells for at auction unless it
sells for less than $500. If your vehicle sells for less than $500, you may
deduct no more than $500. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you will
need to include the IRS form 1098-C. Vehicles For Charity will supply this
documentation after your vehicle sells. We recommend you consult your tax
advisor with questions about your deduction.
Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, our driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not
your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500.
This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name, as well as the year,
make, model, and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only
receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.
What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of
the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross
proceeds of the sale. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles,
Boats, and Airplanes, will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale
stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your
vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security
number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.
What if my car is valued over $500?
Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles
appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds
received from your vehicle.
If you have more tax-related questions, click here for the IRS brochure, A
Donor's Guide to Car Donations <http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/pub4303.pdf>
.
Thank you for your donation to the National Federation of the Blind.  Your
donation will help the blind live the lives they want.
Other Actions You Can Take To Help:
If you know a blind or visually impaired person who could use our help
contact us at 410-659-9314 or nfb at nfb.org.
Visit our website to learn more about blindness and help us spread this
information to others www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> .