[Ohio-talk] volunteers needed to mann the NFB table at 2017 Braille Challenge in Cincinnati, Ohio on March 3, 2017

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 11:31:34 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I am carbon copying this message to Saul Garza scorer administrator,
Sam Foulkes supervisor of Printing House, and Catie Turner our
Volunteer Coordinator at Clovernook Center for the Blind. As by way of
introduction, I am Lisa Hall, Vice President of National Federation of
the Blind Cincinnati Chapter. I have been a Federationist since April
1985 when I was living in Louisiana. That was where everything started
in my lifetime as a Federationist.

Since I am proctoring the lower grades for the Braille Challenge, I
cannot be in multiple places at the same time. I am looking for 2 or 3
people who can mann the NFB table for a few hours during the Braille
Challenge competition. I will have more specific times later today I
hope. To give you an idea, volunteers register around 8 a.m., kids
register around 9 a.m., breakfast will be served at 9 a.m. until 9:45
a.m. Kids will gather for assembly at 9:45 a.m., opening ceremony
starts at 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The first session of competition
starts at 10:30 a.m. to 11:10 a.m., second session at 11:15 a.m. to 12
noon. Lunch is from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 P.M. Third session starts at
12:45 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. (Note, this is when the younger kids finish
their last testing for the competition.) 1:30 to 2:15 P.M. is the
fourth session of the contest. (Note: the older kids finishes its last
test of the competition.) While the graders and scorekeepers are
finishing the scoring of all the competition, kids will be entertained
with Mike Horn, a blind musician and lots of fun will be had by all by
playing musical instruments.
Around 3:00 P.M. or shortly thereafter, closing ceremony will be had
and the winners will be announced and prizes and other goodies will be
given out.  We should end everything by about 4pm.

Later today I will have the location of everything between 2 buildings
on the Clovernook campus.

If you are interested in helping out, contact Catie Turner at
Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired at (513) 522-3860
or send an email to cturner at clovernook.org. If you are interested in
running the NFB table, contact me at (513) 550-5155 by cell number. You
can write me an email at lhall007 at cinci.rr.com.

If anything changes, I will try my best to let everyone know.

We now have 26 participants participating in the Braille Challenge. It
is my understanding that the Apprentice is the largest group consisting
of first and second graders. I believe it was 7 kids from that group.
The other kids are in groups of 4, 4, 3, 4.

I am very excited about the future of kids learning Braille and the
challenges that they will face at the end of this week.

Thank you for your attention in this matter. Let's go build the Federation.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, Vice President
National Federation of the Blind of Cincinnati Chapter

Braille Proofreader
Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
7000 Hamilton Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45231